Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the motorcraft plugs today.. put them in and the car runs like the gap on them is wrong.. the guy at Autozone checked the gap and said they were ok so I'm a bit confused. Would I need to reset my ECU when changing from 2 non-plat to all 4? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
what the hell are you talking about? runs like the gap is wrong? do you mean you hooked up an o-scope and looked at your firing line? and what the hell do you mean changing from 2 non-plat to 4? the focus comes with 4 platinum plugs. why would you wana have 2 non platinum plugs or 4 or what ever you are talking about? and why would you have the guy at autozone check the gap? do it you self. and re explain how it is running. ie stumbles, misses high rpm low rpm what and no you dont have to reset the ecu. check make sure all the plug wires are pluged in correctly and in the right spot.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Some Foci came with 2 Double-Plat and 2 Regular Plat. It was a cost cutting measure.

Also, are you sure you're putting the plugswires in securely and correctly? It's easy to miss the #4 sparkplug. It should *click* when you insert the plug wires in.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by zx3 focus racer:
what the hell are you talking about? runs like the gap is wrong? do you mean you hooked up an o-scope and looked at your firing line? and what the hell do you mean changing from 2 non-plat to 4? the focus comes with 4 platinum plugs. why would you wana have 2 non platinum plugs or 4 or what ever you are talking about? and why would you have the guy at autozone check the gap? do it you self. and re explain how it is running. ie stumbles, misses high rpm low rpm what and no you dont have to reset the ecu. check make sure all the plug wires are pluged in correctly and in the right spot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">alright dick.. its running like its missing a cylinder, but all 4 are firing I know that for a fact, all plug wires are snug.. so my guess is there is something wrong with the gaping.. I had the guy check it at autozone, but since I'm in a college dorm, I have no means to check it myself. I meant from 2 platinum and 2 double platinum to all 4.. I put the old nasty plugs in and it runs fine. Gee whiz, I'm glad I asked for help.. some people just deserve a brick in the face.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey kids play nice or the car will be pulled over.

Put all of the new plugs back in and swap in an old plug one at a time replacing the new ones(start the car between each). Once it runs good leave the old plug in that cyl and take out the old plugs one at a time untill you get the new ones in. With any luck you only have one or two new plugs that are bad some how.

·
Registered
369 Posts
yea what foucsonmy said..

i did hear about the 2 plat and 2 regular.. gota admit.. ford can do some queer things
im goin to be replacing mine here soon too so thanks for the tips

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and I checked the gap myself of the new plugs.. .50 I don't know what is up.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
sorry for sounding like a dick unfocused.
the fact that ford used 2 diff plugs is news to me. and if the gap is wrong it would not run noticeabely any better or worse un less there was a big diff in the gap. like Focusonmytaillights said check them one at a time nad you might find a bad plug. one time when i was futsing with my car the #4 plug wire was ****ed in the bore (hehe)and was not on top of the plug. the car ran like major ****. the car would stumble and die and then i restarted it and it kinda sputtered a few times and then the car reved up to um... about 1500 mayby all on its own. i was like what in the f**king hell is going on. i pushed down on the top of all the plug wires to see if they were on all the way. but i didn't check if it was even on the plug. someone else puled the wire out and stuck it back on and it ran just fine. i was so happy at that point cause my car wasent f'd up.

again sorry for being a dick, or at least sounding like one. hope this helps

edit: oh btw if you dont wana change the plugs one at a time, bring them back to were you bought them and tell them that the plugs are bad and you wana exchange them or get your money back or whatever.

[ 09-14-2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts