Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTAKES! What is everyone's thought on the F2 intake. I was thinking that this might be nice cause it does eliminate the stock plastic MAF tube. I was gonna pick up a Marcy, but was debating due to the fact of the MAF tube removal. What are everyone's thoughts and opinions? (Thanks, in ahead!
)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i would say go with the F2 if you have a manual because the have them for a discounted price right now and it gets rid of the stock MAF(skinny) not knocking Marcy because that is a great intake as well. I personally have the cosworth cai but only because of the price I got it for.$200

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the maf tube.

I have yet to see a dyno of a before and after of any intake that removes the stock maf tube.

As far as the F2, nobody has done a before and after dyno. If they have dyno'd they have yet to post results.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
changing the MAF tube diameter without reprogramming the ECU is one of the biggest no-nos in the world. It's right up there with using dry nitrous kits and getting your peepee stuck in the cylinder head because you humped the intake port (which is smaller) instead of the exhaust port.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Marcy STILL out of intakes? Cause (to be honest) I have had my heart set on that one for some time now! Well, actually, I'd LOVE the Cosworth, but, $350 for an intake makes me want to deficate in my pants...in a bad way...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yeah, he was out of state on a vacation for a few weeks while the materials supplier got things going again.

I think he's set to have bends in late this week. Then weld the tabs and take it off to powdercoat, so, probably 2 weeks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There seems to be a lot of controversy with air intakes these days. Some people claim F2 is the best design, some claim it is the biggest mistake. I don't know, I never tested them side by side.

I know one thing, I got intake from Marcy Motorsports and it was probably the best mod per $$$ I ever did on any car. It sounds wicked, it actually adds horsepower and the car became faster. I raced the car before and after the intake and there was a huge difference. It started eating V6 cars, picked up almost 5MPH at the dragstrip and registered 137whp on the dyno.

Maybe F2 is better, I don't know, I won't argue without hard facts, no maybe, no buts or ifs nonsense. If I had to get intake for my 2nd Focus I would only get one from Marcy Motorsport, just cause I am 100% sure it works. Plus I really dig the sound!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
changing the MAF tube diameter without reprogramming the ECU is one of the biggest no-nos in the world. It's right up there with using dry nitrous kits and getting your peepee stuck in the cylinder head because you humped the intake port (which is smaller) instead of the exhaust port.
F2 CAI doesn't change the size of the diameter. They have a removable insert. If you don’t reprogram the ECU, yeah… you must keep the insert in…. But later if you want to change the ECU program you can remove it.

As far as the Dyno, I would say that F2’s is going to be pretty close to Cosworths in HP and Air Flow/Fuel Mixture….since they are both similar designs.

I would say if you plan on not reprogramming the ECU, I would say all the CAI are going to be about the same. But, if you want to do some upgrades later, the Cosworth and F2s would be the way to go.

Of course you might like the looks of the Cosworth and F2 better because it doesn't use the MAF Tube.

----------------------------------------------------------
added

Also I was able to pick up about 2 seconds at the track at Willow Springs from the stock to the F2 CAI. I never used Marcy's CAI, I'm sure it's great. But, from what I have seen from Cosworth and F2 I would only buy those CAI. The sound of F2 CAI is pretty awesome.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
It would be great if someone took it upon themselves to do a CAI Dyno Shootout.

I could try and arrange something, if you guys are interested.

We'd need a stock vehicle, the intakes, and plenty of cold malted beverages (and probably a bit of cash) in compensation. Most likely it would take place in Orange County (either at MD Automotive or FocusSport). I'm willing to get the ball rolling if we can get a donor car, and the appropriate parts.

edit: idea was proposed to Management as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the help and input! I was wondering if anyone has the K&N Aircharger? It claims 11.85 HP!!! So, I think I will have to go with the F2 or this one. Not "completely" sure yet...still doing the research! Thanks again!

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
K&N isn't claiming that as peak power gain, that is the largest difference between the stock and theirs at some point in the rev band. That's kind of a deceptive marketing tactic if you ask me.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
683 Posts
Good idea on having a CAI Dyno shootout...and I have a stone stock 2004 ZX3(2.3/5-spd)that could be used for the testing. I'd just need the details and some leadtime in case I have to take time off work to show up...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
F2 CAI doesn't change the size of the diameter. They have a removable insert. If you don’t reprogram the ECU, yeah… you must keep the insert in…. But later if you want to change the ECU program you can remove it.

As far as the Dyno, I would say that F2’s is going to be pretty close to Cosworths in HP and Air Flow/Fuel Mixture….since they are both similar designs.

I would say if you plan on not reprogramming the ECU, I would say all the CAI are going to be about the same. But, if you want to do some upgrades later, the Cosworth and F2s would be the way to go.

Of course you might like the looks of the Cosworth and F2 better because it doesn't use the MAF Tube.

----------------------------------------------------------
added

Also I was able to pick up about 2 seconds at the track at Willow Springs from the stock to the F2 CAI. I never used Marcy's CAI, I'm sure it's great. But, from what I have seen from Cosworth and F2 I would only buy those CAI. The sound of F2 CAI is pretty awesome.
didn't mention f2 in my post for a reason. That's the story I here...maf tube diameter=stock. I was merely educating a n00b as to the finer points of having carnal relations with one's cylinder head...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
K&N isn't claiming that as peak power gain, that is the largest difference between the stock and theirs at some point in the rev band. That's kind of a deceptive marketing tactic if you ask me.

>8^)
ER
reason why unless they give us graphs (and not the ones drawn in mspaint) they can all bugger off.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
It would be great if someone took it upon themselves to do a CAI Dyno Shootout.

I could try and arrange something, if you guys are interested.

We'd need a stock vehicle, the intakes, and plenty of cold malted beverages (and probably a bit of cash) in compensation. Most likely it would take place in Orange County (either at MD Automotive or FocusSport). I'm willing to get the ball rolling if we can get a donor car, and the appropriate parts.

edit: idea was proposed to Management as well.
This'd be pretty sweet. We've got a couple boys down here with bone stock 2.0s. Finding a bone stock 2.3 might be fun.....I'd like to participate and can temporarily "donate" my CAI for the test if it'd help.

·
Registered
683 Posts
umm.... bump.....any news on the cai dyno comparison?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts