Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey quick question... lets say you remove your rear springs in ur hatch u'll then be sittin rite on the shocks... is there any shocks out there that go any lower then a stock shock??? or is there only springs and such??? i thought i remembered reading somewhere that the koni's or something are shorter then stock shocks but i could be wrong... well any help here would be great...

thanks
jason

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
go lower? well, if you pull out the spring, ANY car will sit lower. it's not the shock's job to hold it up.

that being said, i'm pretty sure eibachs and GAZ have shortened shafts while Koni doesn't.

Mike

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I did my suspension install yesterday & the day before. I held the Koni's side by side with the stock rear shocks. They were the same length. But how is it that Koni's can handle lowering springs then?

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Spax V Sport Dampers are shortened for lowering springs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you happen to know how much shorter??? and where would one go about buying some Spax V Sport Dampers????

jason

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
But how is it that Koni's can handle lowering springs then?
The Konis are heavy-duty. Stock dampers can become damaged from the forces exerted by low or stiff springs. Konis can handle it, and their adjustability means they can be adjusted to work as well as possible with the springs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The travel of the stock shocks is different from the travel of the aftermarket shocks like Koni and Eibach. They may look the same in length compared to stock but that doesn't hint at the ride height or perfomance.

BTW... you can not ride on just shocks!

Stay Tuned,
Damage

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
So basically, it isn't the lower ride hight that would damaage the stock shocks; it is the stiffer spring rate. That makes sense.

So theoretically, if you didn't mind bottoming out frequently, you could cut your stock springs an inch or two & your stock dampers would survive just fine. Right?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
No.
The ride height ALSO affects it.
When you lower the car, you are changing the range in which the damper operates.
Unless the damper is designed to work that way, or it has been shortened, (ie, "re-designed"), then the damper will see premature wear regardless of spring rate.
Also, cutting stock springs does increase the spring rate.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Eibach rear shocks are shorter than stock... about 1 1/2 inches shorter

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
How does cutting a spring increase it's spring rate?

<bragging> What ever... I'm on Koni's & Apex now!
</bragging>

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys what im sayin and y i ask this is cuz my car is bagged... now in the rear when u remove all the air from the rear and ur slammed as low as it can go the car sits only on the shocks... so what i want is a shock that when compressed that far they will sit just an inch or 2 lower then the stockers... im not looking to cut springs or anything like that... i just wanna know what shock will compress the most while i have the car slammed??? and how much over stock do you think it will compress???

thanks
jason

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It should just sit on the bump stops.
Without crawling under the car, I'd have to agree. If you were to remove the rear springs (which is like taking the air out in this case) the rear end should settle down on the bump stops.

jaynhl, do you still have the bump stops?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, there's a big black rubber "bullit" that will actually stop the car. Remove this and then you might be using the shocks to hold the car up. This can cause big time damage to the shock, so don't do it! Even shorter shocks, if they are used as stops will be damaged. Make sure it is something in the suspension that stops the car, not the shock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts