Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im looking at these Ebay tail lights... do i need to cut and extend anything at all or do i just unscrew the old take the lights out and put the new ones on? sorry its kinda a stupid question but i need to know

*Mod Edit* Fixed link.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
They aren't the prettiest tails I've seen, but they should just be plug and play. You shouldn't have to splice or extend anything....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what would you recament as a black (or CF looking) tail light about the same pricerange for an 05 zx3 thats black?

·
9,786 Posts
what would you recament as a black (or CF looking) tail light about the same pricerange for an 05 zx3 thats black?
That was my opinion. If you like them, please get them. I'd hate to think I steered you off of a product you liked. I didn't look to see how much they are to be honest, but for a black car, I'd go with either the inpro's or tint the stockers. Or just go Euro stock and tint those, just to be somewhat unique.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your not stearing me away from anything i just saw them and thought they were cool but i like options... can you link me to the inpros? i talked about tinting the stocks but my dad layed the law down on that saying if i ever got rearended it would be my fault no matter what and ya ya ya... so if you can link me to the inpros that would rock..

·
9,786 Posts
I can't link you, they are on a FJ banned site, but they are from across the pond....let me know via pm if you need anymore clues to the website....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well anyone else have some ideas that i should get that dont take to much work to install?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
ok so im looking at these Ebay tail lights... do i need to cut and extend anything at all or do i just unscrew the old take the lights out and put the new ones on? sorry its kinda a stupid question but i need to know

*Mod Edit* Fixed link.
Depends on the year of the car. '03 and earlier have different ware harnesses than 04 and up. TYC tails will not directly plug into 04 and up unless they have made any modifications to the harness recently.

·
8,054 Posts
I can't link you, they are on a FJ banned site, but they are from across the pond....let me know via pm if you need anymore clues to the website....
Quite possible that hese are the one's you are speaking of Lee?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-DESIGN-TAIL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

They are on Ebay UK all the time and are sometimes on Ebay USA, but rarely. You can sometimes find someone selling them on FFOC also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cars an 05 zx3 sorry i forgot to say that so im looking for tails that will fit right in there easily because unless my dad helps me out i have little to no experience... :p

·
8,054 Posts
They fit, you just need to do a quick hack job. It's really not hard at all, you just have to hack off the connector of both the aftermarket tail lights, and your stock harness. If you don't mind doing that, the rest is easy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wouldnt mind if i knew what you were talking about... ive never actually modified any car... so im confused a bit... hence id rather a simple bolt on so if you know any cool looking black ones that would rock! thanks

·
9,786 Posts
I guess I was mistaken that they are plug and play. Anyone want to elighten me why they are a hack job so I don't stray others when trying to help *hangs head in embarassment*

·
8,054 Posts
No, it's cool. Lots of people think they are the same because the shape of the light is 100% identical. The only difference is the harness themselves. Ford redesigned a few of the wiring harnesses and some of the wiring in 04, so everything prior to 04 is the same, and I'm guessing that the 04 and 05 are the same, but I'm not 100% on that (I'll have to look at Trav's car the next time it's around.)

I wish I was at home and had access to my computer and my pics. But the easiest way I can explain how to do it follows:

Go buy some male and female spade solderless disconnects from any hardware/electrical store. These are your best friend whenever you do any sort of wiring modification to your stock harnesses, as you can always plug your stock stuff back in if you decide you don't like your aftermarket stuff anymore.

So anyway, go buy some of these:

http://www.buyreliant.com/pfan/solderless_terminals.htm

You'll want the male and female sort. I use pink, but some people use blue (color is an indicator of wire size/guage.) As a matter of fact, Autozone sells these disconnects with a length of heatshrink on the end so you can make them a little more water resistant since this will all be done on the exterior side of the car.

Remove your stock tail light. Disconnect the wiring harness from the stock light bulb sockets. Note the location of the wires in relation to their position in the harness. Cut the stock wiring harness completely off of the car, but leave a section of at least two inches of wire attached to it (you'll be thankful you did that if you ever go to swap back.) Now you are going to want to put either male or female (doesn't matter which, just make it uniform) disconnects on the pigtails (wires) that are now hanging from your car with no harness attached. While you're at it, put the opposite sex disconnect of what you just used on your stock harness. Make sure they all 6 are crimped down snugly and give them a light tug to make sure that they won't fall off easily.

Now, the TYC tails have a harness on them. Since the TYCs are split into three lamps and the stock ones are two, there will be another bulb you may not know what to do with, but look carefully and you will see that the upper two bulbs still go into one harness. Note the orientation of those wires and which position they are on the harness. You are now going to cut the harness off of the TYCs, again, if you choose, leave yourself some length to put them back to original. Now put the opposite sex disconnect on the pigtails hanging off of the TYC as you did on the pigtails hanging off of the car.

If you noted the position of the wires coming into the TYC harness, you should be able to plug those wires directly into the wires on the car. You have just made your own plug and play system and your own "harnesses." Plug the lights into the appropriate wires on the car, have a friend fire up the car, and check the function before you bolt them back up.

Oh, by the way, it is worth noting that the harness on the reverse lamp will work correctly. Ford only changed the parking/brake lamp harness.

If you have trouble remembering which wires need to connect to what when you go to plug back in, don't fret. This is another reason as to why you should leave a length of wire attached to the harnesses you removed. Mate the harnesses you removed to each other (they will almost plug all the way in, but they will not secure) and go from one side to the other to look at wire connections. Simple. If orange is on one side, and orange black is on its direct opposite, plug those together, and so on. It's only three connections, and we know that black goes to black, so that only leaves you with two (been a long time since I did this to my own car and no longer have the lights, so I can't tell you exactly what colors are on the TYCs.)

If you decide to get them, this is all together maybe a 20 minute process. And the difficulty level on a scale of 1-10 is maybe a 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts