Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I'm supposed to torque the udp bolts down to a certain lb/ft, I think it's around 80-90 or 90-100 or something (it says on some website, I know where to find it, so the actual number isn't the issue) - but my question is, today is Sunday. I'm not going to have access to a torque wrench until Tuesday night. Should there be a problem installing the udp now (I have an impact gun), tightening the bolt as tight as I can get it w/ the impact, and then double checking the torque Tuesday? Or is the torque not even that big of a deal as long as I've gotten it as tight as I can?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If you're using an impact, just zip it on and you will be fine. No need to double check unless you really want to.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Maybe I'll get an answer here to a question I've asked a couple of times. What is involved in the installation? Will I have to go through the fenderwell, or can I reach down from the top?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
Maybe I'll get an answer here to a question I've asked a couple of times. What is involved in the installation? Will I have to go through the fenderwell, or can I reach down from the top?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For the crankshaft pulley, you need to go through the fenderwell, for the water pump pulley, you can do it from the top, and the same with the alternator.

[ 11-03-2002, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: noresull ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
I found that the waterpump pulley was much easier from under the car. Of course I didn't have any fancy tools, just a box end wrench. Didn't mess with the Alternator at all. Looked to be a waste of time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm still debating about the possible negative effects on engine wear I've been reading about, but the actual installation looks easy enough!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Noresull, I think you meant "Fenderwell" for the crank pulley....Not "Firewall"....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Noresull, I think you meant "Fenderwell" for the crank pulley....Not "Firewall"....

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I understood what was meant. I would have looked pretty stupid otherwise!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What are you talking about?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by orndog:
Thanks guys! I'm still debating about the possible negative effects on engine wear I've been reading about, but the actual installation looks easy enough!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've had mine on for 20,000 kms and no problems yet. And very few of those kms were below 3000 rpms

·
Registered
258 Posts
zx3punk - i ran into the exact same problem. i jut held the brake pedl down hard with my foot and had a friend barely tap the impact gun. i was really scared that we might overtighten the bolt and possibly brake it off, but everything's been fine for a while now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
this tuesday howard (s.on da 5) is gonna install my udp...i hope he's reading this too
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, then I think I heard him say he was going to drive to Tennessee and install the one he's bringing me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts