Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the best exhaust to get would be. I want to keep the car from sounding too "ricey". I guess im looking for the most quiet exhaust that gives the most gains. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check this out neutrical FocusSport Exhausts

They have a stealth option, but I don't know how quiet it is. You might see if anyone has it here by doing a search.

Oops, just noticed you have an SVTF like me. They don't have the exhaust out for it yet, but I'm waiting. I want it quiet too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the orp on and im getting the borla cat-back and aem cai installed tommorow, ill let you know how it sounds and if there are any noticable power gains

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Borla Catback + ORP. Sounds awesome yet quiet, and makes good power
Quiet? lol... I don't know you're opinion of loud, but almost ANYTHING with the ORP is loud. If you're looking for power with the ORP and also trying to keep it quiet, you'll need something with a silencer/stealth..

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Borla for SVTF is not loud.

The AEM CAI all by itself is much louder (but at high RPM WOT).

All you get with the Borla are low muscular tones at low RPMs, and almost complete silence at higher RPMs.

Borla w/ ORP does not sound ricey either.

For race car like sound you pair it with AEM CAI, and the intake roars just after the Borla shuts up. It's like they were made for each other (soundscape wise).

Sounds quick... but of course, since it's an SVTF, it isn't.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Borla all the way.

Even with the ORP Its less intrusive and buzzy than stock imho
In my opinion too

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Borla all the way.

Even with the ORP Its less intrusive and buzzy than stock imho
In my opinion too
Yes, less buzzy that stock, but it's still LOUD nonetheless. Whoever thinks it's quiet should do a side-by-side with someone who has stock or Borla w/o the ORP.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Personally I like the Magnaflow, nice and mellow ... unless of course you install a race header or ORP, then most all of them get kinda loud. I installed a long flow through resonator on my Magnaflow system to quiet it back down. However, after saying all that, I have to admit that I like the sound of the FS systems. The standard is great if your not using an ORP or race header and the stealth if you are. The only thing I don't like about the current FS systems is the single wall tail pipe, I prefer the double wall as used in the Magnaflow, Borla, and a couple of others. We have very large mod g2g's here and it's given me an opportunity to hear just about every system on the market both with and without an ORP or race header. And still, I prefer the sound of the Magnaflow and FS systems. I also like the sound of the Bosal but don't really care for the big muffler hanging below the bumper. The borla also sounds good, a tad louder than the other systems mentioned above, and every Borla I've heard with an ORP or race header is VERY loud. But then again, that's just my opinion .... what's loud to me may not be for others.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are two ways to measure "loudness", by decibels and by people's irritation with the tones.

The Borla may indeed have higher decibels than some exhausts, but the sound is tuned to be low and smooth. A sound of power.

From my experience, it is the tinny/buzzy higher notes (angry bee) that annoy people outside you car and attract cops. Screams rice.

Even the stock SVTF exhaust sounds buzzy under certain conditions.

Borla = NO BUZZ, and I think that works very well for most people. After all, the sound quality is half the purpose of buying a performance street exhaust.

Some people like the sound of a spitting mad giant bee... there is no accounting for taste.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had my borla put on about a hour ago, i previously had stock exhaust with orp and that sounded like crap. Now it sounds great and i feel a nice increase in power. Very nice deep tone. In my opinion Borla+ORP=awasome sound and power

1 - 15 of 15 Posts