Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've thought about modifying my mbrp catback to make it quieter.

i want to get the rear section cut. (as in the pic), and replace it with the stock tailpipe muffler box (im not sure if this is what its called).

will the mod help reduce the droning a lot more or little, is it worth it.

chris

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
are you kidding?

NO DO NOT put that stock box on

Trust me when i say, get a straight through magnaflow welded in, ANYWHERE, its a round mufler, any lenght you want, depends on how quiet you want it, its straight through, NO loss of power at all, its cheap, great quality, GREAT sound, and can REALLY quiet things down, trust me, i cant even hear my exhuast anymore, compared to what it was before

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naz, i'm not too concerned with performance any more. i have an atx, i guess the droning comes from the taller gears.

i just want my ride to be quieter even if i should get the stock exhaust back on. i didnt realize it would be this loud, and my ears almost gone deaf sitting at the back. i dont have that much cash to spend on a new system..

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Just slap on a huge glasspack onto it.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
glasspack?? is the heck is that???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A bigger resonator. A friend of mine who has a race header had an exhaust shop weld a bigger resonator onto his exhaust system to tone down the sound. And it did its job as the car sounds pretty quiet now.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had an additional resonator welded in on my MBRP and it helped quiet the drone. Per Naz's recommendation I am going to have a Magnaflow muffler installed next week: Even with the drone reduced, after two years the noise is kind of getting to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another option would be the new supertrapp tip kinda big but works like a charm on my car. It's called the wavetech I think.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so which part exactly is the resonator? is it the long tube piece (after the cat), or is the fat round piece (before the tip).

if i install a larger resonator, which size will fit the mbrp exhaust. where on the exhaust will it be welded in? will the mbrp resonator need to be removed?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
The muffler is the piece sitting on top of the box in the pic.

The resonator is the long thin tube in the piping in the bottom of the pic.

The resonator would be removed and replaced with a larger magnaflow piece if that is what you want to use.

- Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts