Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it can be done, but has anyone put in a cat downstream of the race header? I have strict emissions laws in my state, and can't get away with a cat-less exhaust.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, I know this probably doesn't help much but I'll throw in my .02 anyway

The Sean Hyland Race Header can fit a Cat between the Flex pipe and the Header... it stops a little shorter than the long tubes on most race headers (slightly less gain possibly?) but you get something better than Shorties... and the Cat still works properly (as I understand it) because it's close enough to the heat source to warm up quickly.

I have not yet purchased and installed this - and few if any seem to have any info on this - as it's rather expensive (~ $900 for both race header and Random Tech Cat from Sean Hyland)... but it does provide one of the better (it seems) race header solutions with a Cat that's a "simple" bolt on exhaust.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Originally posted by 2000ZTS:
Well, I know this probably doesn't help much but I'll throw in my .02 anyway

The Sean Hyland Race Header can fit a Cat between the Flex pipe and the Header... it stops a little shorter than the long tubes on most race headers (slightly less gain possibly?) but you get something better than Shorties... and the Cat still works properly (as I understand it) because it's close enough to the heat source to warm up quickly.

I have not yet purchased and installed this - and few if any seem to have any info on this - as it's rather expensive (~ $900 for both race header and Random Tech Cat from Sean Hyland)... but it does provide one of the better (it seems) race header solutions with a Cat that's a "simple" bolt on exhaust.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and thats what it dose i have it and it is nice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
CT doesn't have emissions stations right now

i was thinking of the FC race header, flex pipe, then the high flow cat even further downstream in the long section of the 'original' (magnaflow) catback exhaust...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They will be back up and running as of the fall. This comes from my brother who is a state trooper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
But when CT goes to the new system with shops licensed to check emissions (similar to MA) some shops may be more strict than under the old system. In theory, you aren't supposed to replace the 'close coupled' cat unless it has been damaged, and then only with a cat that has been certified. The JBA header with a CARB EO is 50 state legal if used with a stock cat.

The problem is with modified systems cold start emissions can get much worse even if not part of the formal emissions test.

However, some of us may get lucky a find shops run by 'enthusiasts'. If the car passes emissions testing with a downstream cat you pass. Finding a motorhead friendly shop is going to be one of my first priorities. Hopefully it won't be a place that expects you to spend $500 or more per year in performance work to keep the shop owner happy.

[ 01-22-2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: JohnsZX2SR ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts