Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know just about nothing about race headers except that they are supposed to give really good gains. i have a chance to buy one used for $150. first, is this a good price? the car is a daily driver, so i dont want to be running into problems from it. i know it will be loud, but will it be insanely loud? the exhaust is stock so far but i will be getting a borla catback and installing it also if i get the header. so is it a good idea? any help, opinions, or words of advice would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had no problems with my Borla/Raceheader combo (after the initial one week getting used to), but after I reworked my whole intake side and ported my head, it's become too loud. I'm now looking for a way to quiet it down. The Borla does have the best looking tip as far as fit and finish, and has a great sound to it, but with the Raceheader it's too much to handle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
$150 is a good price for a raceheader, provided it's in good shape, and the brand. I have a Focus Central Race header along with my Borla exhaust...it's sounds awesome and the gains were very nice....if you're going to be worried about the volume level a differend exhaust might be better...the Borla isn't the quietest exhaust on the market, and w/ the race header it opens it up even more....but it's got a very nice deep tone, I have only good things to say.....so go for it, have fun, and enjoy the ride

-jase

·
Registered
560 Posts
borla + FS race header here!!!

nice sound!! really good gains!!

go for it

yes it is loud but not insanely loud, i actually like the sound! Some civics with only an exhaust were even louder and more annoying than my setup (mostly because borla + race header doesn't vibrate as much as the hondas, and vibration is something that annoys you the most)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I also have the FS race header ext. pipe and borla setup. Its really loud and I'm kinda learning not to floor it on streets anymore for fear of being pulled over. I'm installing the ford racing intake manifold next week, I wonder what will happen.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
borla/race header=VERY LOUD!!!! fuzz magnet, it'll drive u nuts b4 long.

also, a used race header is sketchy. w/so many of them cracking or b'g a lil testy on fit, i'd b very careful. u put that thing on w/a stock exhaust, and its gonna rattle and vibrate up against different surfaces underneath ur car like crazy.

when u buy a catback, u have 2 keep in mind, am i gonna get a high flow cat, ORP, or race header of some sort and thus how loud will it b w/all on. in many cases, some of these cat backs r nice alone, but when u go after more. their 2 DAMN LOUD. sadly, the borla is 1 of them. now u could try and weld in another resonator or the bosal silencer on the end (yes it can b done). but u might still b 2 loud 4 ur tastes.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It depends.

If it is a used Focussport header, you should have nothing to worry about.

If it is a Focus Central header, it could be one of the older versions prone to rusting/cracking.

Check to make sure there is some kind of label on it.

I have the Borla/FC Raceheader combo and it's loud.

The tone is actually really really nice. It sounds nice.

After about 3 months of driving with it, it's actually not that loud, but i'm still a little self concious around police

I don't think it will be THAT loud with a stock exhaust

[ 02-14-2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
that is an excellent price but i would stick to shorty header with high flow cat pipe. u will not notice much difference it power. race header will show a little bit more gains though. if u do not mind be legal then pick up the race header for that price. that is prolly the biggest decision rather than gains b/c there will not be too much of a difference in power. both ways u will feel the difference for sure!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnPunk:
i wouldn't even bother with a raceheader unless you've already got a catback lined up. seems like a waste kinda? i'd just do it all at once.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would too, the raceheader is the harder of the installs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You got a lot of good advice here, if you have access to a good welder than get the used header, if it's coated it will rust (IF) it neads to be welded. Otherwise spend the 350 for the Focus Sport. Eather way i would get a new gasket, the stock is metal but it does compress and mounting a different header (MAY) cause a leak. They are cheap. Anyhow i have had the FS shorty with the stock cat, with the ORP (great gains)never sealed right, and now i have the FS Race header, flexpipe and Borla. It's only as loud as you drive it....However if you do a lot of highway driving the DRONE is annoying.

Milan

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I've got the FC race header, it's a great design for the street as it provides great torque and mid range. The build quality isn't as nice as the FS but nice none the less. I'm not having any problems with mine ... yet. If your going to run a race header and are concerned with noise then I's shy away from the Borla as it's one of the louder systems on the market. It sounds great with a shortie and cat but is too much for the race header. With a race header I would go with one of the quieter systems like Bosal, Magnaflow, and some others. I have the Magnaflow and it's one of the quieter systems out there, but it too got pretty lous with the race header but not obnoxious. The beauty of the Magnaflow is that it's quiet with only one muffler, this allowed me to install a long resonator under the car which really quieted things down..... good luck.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by vme:
You got a lot of good advice here, if you have access to a good welder than get the used header, if it's coated it will rust (IF) it neads to be welded. Otherwise spend the 350 for the Focus Sport. Eather way i would get a new gasket, the stock is metal but it does compress and mounting a different header (MAY) cause a leak. They are cheap. Anyhow i have had the FS shorty with the stock cat, with the ORP (great gains)never sealed right, and now i have the FS Race header, flexpipe and Borla. It's only as loud as you drive it....However if you do a lot of highway driving the DRONE is annoying.

Milan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dangit Milan. Stop forgetting your logins! I keep getting confused.

But yeah, He's right
the drone is really irritating.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i wouldn't even bother with a raceheader unless you've already got a catback lined up. seems like a waste kinda? i'd just do it all at once.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey, thanks guys, i think as long as its a newer FC or a focussport then im gonna get it, but wait till i get the catback to install it. if its an FC, how old should i watch out for? i think this one is less than a year old, also, its not ceramic coated, is this bad?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts