Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank Walter (Focusboy) and everyone else for making this pain in the a$$ install more bareable.

2 questions:

1) When screwing the 02 sensors into the race header, does it matter which one goes where? The FS directions say the Green 02 sensor which was before the cat when stock goes in the second slot on the race header and the blue 02 sensor that was after the cat when stock now goes in the first slot on the race header. I did the opposit of FS and put it like it was when stock...Green in the first hole and Blue in the second. Does it matter?

2) I had my A/F guage hooked up and had to disconect during the race header install. Can I hook this back up to where it was on the first 02 sensor and will it still work?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it!

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I did the same thing. I believe that the location is only important when you are running the cat because one senses emissions before the cat and one senses after in order to ensure that the cat is operating properly. Once you have the race header installed, you have the same emissions reading at either sensor. Therefore, the point at which you hook up the AF gauge should remain the same.

Anyone believe differently?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes I believe very differently

the first 02 that was befor the cat is your fuel control 02, FS was right to say to put that 02 in the second bung because it gives the computor a better picture of your current fuel status as a whole.
by swapping the two your computor is basing your fuel control on only one cylnder
remember that the computer looks at both your maf sensor and your first 02 to determine your fuel output.

you are right that the second 02 simply tells the computor the efficency of your cat. by comparing the data from your first to your second 02 sensors it can tell how well your cat is working.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...interesting. Does it make that much difference being only 3 or 4 inches apart? I hooked up the A/F guage and it works fine.

Anyone else to break this tie?
Thanks for the info so far!

[ 01-05-2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Focusracer1 ]

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Listening to him, he may be right. When in doubt, follow the directions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so for anyone who cares, I just got off the phone with FocusSport. It dosen't matter which way they go on with the race header. FS just reversed it because of wire length so you don't have to cut and extend the wire.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am putting in the AutoMeter A/F Gauge this weekend. Planned on putting the wire in the proper place using the O2 harness connector from the header or race pipe rather than tapping to the ECU Pin wires. Want to have it prior to the O2 Cheater. Looks like either bung will work from the above, just need to know which color of wire to splice into. Have a 2002. Thanks

[ 03-10-2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I installed my 02 sensor's in the same location as they were with the cat, hooked up my A/F guage to the first (top) 02 sensor and my 02 cheater to the second (bottom) sensor, all is working well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by dan-d:
I installed my 02 sensor's in the same location as they were with the cat, hooked up my A/F guage to the first (top) 02 sensor and my 02 cheater to the second (bottom) sensor, all is working well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the cheater on the second one as well. Just need to know the color of wire to put the purple wire to. Been a ton of info in the search threads, but just need the correct single wire coding/color to tap that is in upper O2 harness. thanks again.

[ 03-10-2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
871 Posts
what does a cheater cost? do you have to have it? when going to a race header, what all must you buy at the same time to make it work?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by llama_in_a_focus:
what does a cheater cost? do you have to have it? when going to a race header, what all must you buy at the same time to make it work?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Around 30 bucks from FC, Mcnews, or NewedgePerformance. Keeps your CEL from triggering. Race headers or race pipes usually have the O2 bungs on them for your OEM wires. Cheater neatly plugs between the wire harness and "fools" the ECU that you are carb legal.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Now I am going to ask a question about the O2 cheater.
Has anyone hooked up to an OBD(like you are going to test your car), to see how well the O2 cheater works?
I know the cheater works weel enough to fool our ECU. But, does it work well enough that if you had to emissions test(with out a sniffer), could it fool a computer? I don't see why it wouldn't. But, I'm just curious if anyone has tried.
I'm in fairly well with the guys at my local Jiffy Lube, and was thinking of asking them to plug my car in, and run a "pre test" emissions check.
The only reason I ask, is beacause when I had my car safety inspection done a couple weeks ago(pre FC RH), they pulled my car up on the dyno, and hooked it up to the computer. But, they didn't actually run the dyno, or put a sniffer in the tail pipe. So, I am guessing that maybe the O2 cheater can fool a computer, that is running a diagnostic, or emissions test.

Al

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 1BadEgg:
Did more digging in the "search" mode. Looks like the white wire. Please correct me if wrong. Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The white wire is the one I went with as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts