Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be installing a race header next weekend and I want to add a cat in at some point. My original idea was to weld a cat into the flex pipe but it doesn't look like there is a large enough "straight" section to do that. Has any one done this before? I know it was mentioned that putting after the flange after the flexpipe is too far away for a cat to be effective.

Any one have any ideas?

-jesse

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Two words: SVT Header.

It's been well-documented on here as a good setup for those who need a long-tube header and a cat. Only the SVT header is made to incorporate a cat. Otherwise you're looking at some serious custom fabrication work to accomplish your goals.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Okay... you already bought the header.

Sports Compact Car did an article about a Focus Sport race header install that incorporated a catalytic converter.

Go to Sport Compact Car's Website - the article is there explaining what they did.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SCC mentions it in their article but the picture is too small and you can't see the cat itself. They said they welded it into the downpipe but I still don't see where.

http://focus-central.com/catalog.asp?id=4

Would it be possible to weld that cat into their flex pipe? It looks like the FC one might have a straight enough section...

-jesse

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jesse,

Don't mess with the cat. Your first inspection won't be for a few years. When that time comes, you swap back long enough for the breath test. Then you'll you'll do it again after another 2 years. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And so on and so on.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts