Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
No one is knocking his proven ability to make power for sure.

In my opinion however, he hurts his business just about everytime he opens his mouth. He just comes across on the internet as a giant jerk.

He needs a PR Firm or something to reign him in.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
MichaelXi said:
Whatever your opinion if HIM, his WORK speaks for itself.
The reliable power that he's gotten out of a Zetec, (As well as the EXTREME "Living on the Edge" Power"... #'s to be disclosed at a later date... ;) ) is Impressive to say the least.
:)
Agreed, he does good work for the most part, and he definately has always pushed the limit with the focus, and that has driven other companies to get better as well. His attitude at times could use adjusting (that has always been my biggest beef with him and he knows it), but despite those moments, he's definately a valuable asset to the focus community. Just as are all the other tuners and companies that invest into this community.

And I know exactly what you're alluding to with this statement "That will soon not be a concern.", and I'm not exactly happy about it.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Well, I just ran my car on the TT Calculator, and it's going to be a TTC, 78 points total. I'll be at the Track Attack 2. And this time it's at my faorite track, so providing NASA isn't too difficult to get to drive in, I'll drive the car too and everyone gets to see how much a "ringer" is worth behind the wheel vs. me.

Tom isn't worth the argument. I want a shot at him, I'm sure Randy does too.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that with the power I have and some other goodies in the works, by August, we'll be a good bit farther ahead ot the Spec Focus times on the big track at WSIR than Tom was ahead of Leo at Mid Ohio.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Walter,
I respect you and have no issues or bones AT ALL.
I SUPPORT you AND Randy.
One thing to remember is that Tom is an ENGINE guy, and a Drag Racer.
While he takes pleasure in a Track Day, it's Not his "Thing".
The car he was in at Mid-Ohio was running 340 Reliable whp.
It HAS Dyno'd at 540 whp on Higher Octane and Boost.
Tom PROVED his point.
His setup will run reliably all weekend at 340 whp on pump gas.
Beyond that, though Spec Focus can be a guage of sorts, it's still kind of apples to oranges.
Tom had Never driven Mid-Ohio.
He's only run a few Track Days previously.
Those factors alone make a comparison difficult.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It sounds like he's fairly fast. If he only beat Leo by 2.4 seconds with over twice the horsepower, he's not super fast. Granted, Leo's a racecar driver... Tom builds good cars but he seems like a total...

actually, me reading his thread reminds me of the crazy loose cannon ignorant remarks I would expect to hear from the mouth of Paul Senior from Orange County Garbage.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
ZX3autoxtasy said:
It sounds like he's fairly fast. If he only beat Leo by 2.4 seconds with over twice the horsepower, he's not super fast. Granted, Leo's a racecar driver...
I'll bet Leo could've gotten Tom's car around the track at least 5 seconds quicker.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
ZX3autoxtasy said:
It sounds like he's fairly fast. If he only beat Leo by 2.4 seconds with over twice the horsepower, he's not super fast. Granted, Leo's a racecar driver... Tom builds good cars but he seems like a total...

actually, me reading his thread reminds me of the crazy loose cannon ignorant remarks I would expect to hear from the mouth of Paul Senior from Orange County Garbage.
Dont underestimate the benefit of a LIGHT weight race car that is well prepped.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
But what happened to "no excuses" Tom? Your making all kinds for why it wasn't faster or for his words/actions.... but anytime someone mentions something anti-tom or not in his favour you basically say "well, yeah, but tom _____."

Tom bashed on the west coast tuners for not showing to an event days away, but you already say he probably would not be able to make one just as far from him. He boasts that he drove himself and did not have someone else drive and complains that other companies will, when he has been extended the same invitation and chooses not to, and twists it around to make it sounds like they are cheating. He mocks the other companies tuner/work abilities and products, but when something goes wrong he blames the customer and says it isn't his fault.

If he's as great as he tries to make himself out to be, he shouldn't need excuses or to boast himself like he does.

I really can not wait to see the results of the SFS whenever it happens. But even then, I know no matter what (unless he wins) he'll have excuse after excuse and say it wasn't fair or someone cheated, etc. He's just that type of guy.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'd be interested to see F2 or FocusSport really go "balls to the wall" with a car and take 'him on.

I think FS would have no problem. It seems like they know what they're doing and how to "sort" a track car.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
ZX3autoxtasy said:
I'd be interested to see F2 or FocusSport really go "balls to the wall" with a car and take 'him on.

I think FS would have no problem. It seems like they know what they're doing and how to "sort" a track car.
and F2 has experience of building an USTCC car and is building a WC car as well. It would be good to see.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Ted7rns said:
and F2 has experience of building an USTCC car and is building a WC car as well. It would be good to see.
I'll bet it'll never happen.
BTW, Tom's reasons for not making a LOOOONG trip are Numerous, but a Biggie has to do with a Close Family member with serious Medical Concerns.
I'm sure he regrets the cancellation of THE Shootout, but was still hoping that more "Tuners" would show for the Replacement date.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
MichaelXi said:
I'll bet it'll never happen.
BTW, Tom's reasons for not making a LOOOONG trip are Numerous, but a Biggie has to do with a Close Family member with serious Medical Concerns.
I'm sure he regrets the cancellation of THE Shootout, but was still hoping that more "Tuners" would show for the Replacement date.
That's too bad. I talked to him a couple of times before he left to Mid-Ohio. I'm sorry to hear he has family with some health issues.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ted7rns said:

I hope the day will come when we can go head to head, but we are from two different schools. Tom builds cars more for drag racing from what I read and hear. We tend to lean towards road racing, with our experience in building Porsches and BMW and now the Focus. We have won 4-hour and 6-hour enduros, and sprint races and competed in pro level in the past and helped at the 24 hours at Daytona.

But I guess based on this experience we probably will not hang with Tom according to Michaelxi, he knows best.

maybe the next time we have the chance to run let's make it road america, a very fast and fun track and that will seperate the men from the boys.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
f2focus said:
But I guess based on this experience we probably will not hang with Tom according to Michaelxi, he knows best.
Ricardo,
Let's keep your snide comments to me to PM's from now on.
You're taking unfair advantage of my inability to post re F2.
I have made lesser comments in the past to you that have gotten your feathers in a wad, so let's cool it, OK?
:what:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
f2focus said:
I hope the day will come when we can go head to head, but we are from two different schools. Tom builds cars more for drag racing from what I read and hear. We tend to lean towards road racing, with our experience in building Porsches and BMW and now the Focus. We have won 4-hour and 6-hour enduros, and sprint races and competed in pro level in the past and helped at the 24 hours at Daytona.

maybe the next time we have the chance to run let's make it road america, a very fast and fun track and that will seperate the men from the boys.
just out of curiosity, I was wondering what your capacity was in those teams. It's always interesting finding out more about our sponsors/tuners.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
It's really a moot point now. As mentioned in another thread, Tom is retiring. He told me so at Mid-Ohio. I haven't said anything because I figured it was his business to announce it.

But, he must have told a few people because it's gotten out. He said he wants to travel and enjoy life. I don't blame him.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
focaljet-1 said:
It's really a moot point now. As mentioned in another thread, Tom is retiring. He told me so at Mid-Ohio. I haven't said anything because I figured it was his business to announce it.

But, he must have told a few people because it's gotten out. He said he wants to travel and enjoy life. I don't blame him.
SpoilSport...

:p
BTW, Travel has very little to do with it other than taking a brief Vacation from the current pressures.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.