Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of my radiator fans are comeing on. Even when I let it sit at idle and the water temp goes up to almost the red. Is there supposed to be a code associated with this. I haven't had my cel checked since the last code. It's been on ever since.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It sounds like you need to replace the radiator resistor assembly-eactly the same problem I had. The assembly plugs into the radiator housing between the two fans-there is a plug with two 10ga (?) wires plugged into it. It just snaps out and unplugs. Easy. Cost about $25, I think @ Ford. In the meantime, you should be able to turn on the fans at any time by turning on the A/C.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Yup sounds like that relay (or whatever it's considered) RIGHT in between your two fans. Plugs in and out and once out it looks like a coil of metal wiring round and round with a tiny relay connected to the wiring. You'll see what we mean. Happened to me and found out it was the problem.

You can also check out this thread.

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=628427&Forum=UBB12&Words=overheating&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=628412&Search=true#Post628427

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man you guys are good. I didn't know when you turn the AC on the fans came on eithier. When my car first started doing it. I turned the heater on full blast in hopes of cooling down the engine. Did any of you have a code with this problem?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I didn't get a code when my fans acted up and they were that way for quite awhile before I wnet to the effort of figuring it out. The PCM was signaling the fans to come on (and the resistor assembly doesn't communicate with the PCM)so if the PCM is acting normally, that's why no code was set. Forgot to mention the heater thing-that's a good way to remove heat from the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts