Ford Focus Forum banner

Rally Tires

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Drumr90 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know where you guys get your rally tires.

The info would be appreciated.:rock:

#2 ·
The short answer is - wherever you can.

Andrew and I have been running Lassa tires for the last couple of years <http://rally-tire.com/> but they don't have much in stock right now.

I'm trying to get some DMacks <http://www.dmacktyresusa.com/> but even they have been experiencing supplier delays. I'm hoping some will come in in time for 100AW which is allegedly where we're supposed to drop off the rally car if Rally Mexico is going to happen.

Simon
USUK Racing

#3 ·
Im trying to get DMacks too. There arent very many affordable options out there.

I need some before the rallyX season starts here. I am prepping my Protege 5 for rally right now. Ive got pretty much everything sourced that I need except for tires. Pain in the butt.

#4 ·
We were lucky and our Canadian distributor of DMacks had a container come in so we ran Tallpines on DMacks. Having run Hankooks, Yokohama A035's, Pirelli and DMack I have to say the DMack's grip was somewhere between the Yokos and the Pirellis but slightly toward the Pirelli side. Their wear rate and pattern is excellent and linear and they appear to be a very robust tire; I doubt we'll see any flats on them. They were also harder to mount than Pirellis so that should say something about their sidewall strength.

Now that being said (these are my Canadian and US sources):

Fourstar Motorsports - Pirellis - Undoubtedly the best for grip on par with BFG and maybe Michelin (I hear they're the best)

Jon Nichols Motorsport, Rocket Rally - Yokohama - A good entry level tire

Old School Motorsports - DMacks - See above

Jon Buffum(actually in the US!) - BF Goodrich and possibly Michelin

Sube sports (US as well) - BF Goodrich as well

Lassa - Rallytire.net

Team Illuminata - Often has used tires for RallyX and that sort of thing

If you're lucky, some of these companies will bring tires to events for you. Of course you'll still need to have them mounted but if the team is big enough they might do that for you for an additional surcharge.

#6 ·
Yea, again mounting will be a little more difficult than usual but their tread pattern is also good. We ended up cutting for Pines due to all the loose stuff, and would have cut more had I know it was going to be THAT loose. All we did was the stripe the whole way around the tire about in the centre. The supplier should be able to instruct you on the cutting pattern.

#8 ·
Ahh we ran the 195/65/15; not an ideal size but apparently the 175/70/15 didn't end up coming in the shipment even though they were ordered. They were actually terrible in terms of float since Tallpines this year was so soft in so many places and our car is 2620lbs. rally ready w/ a half tank of gas w/out us. We're also pretty low on hp.

I believe all of their 15's are asymetrical.

#10 ·
Hey,

In my experience so far there aren't any cheap rally rims available. As of now we're using stock Focus 5 spoke 10 spoke 15" rims because they're around $30 from the wrecker and when we take them in for scrap after we bend them we get about $15 back.

If you can afford it I hear Braid (lesser known), Speedline and Compomotive are the best. Team Dynamics tend to oval from what I've heard. I have a set of them on my street car but not on my competition vehicle.

Hope that helps! Don't be concerned about using the OEM rims; they take a TON more to bend than steelies.

#11 ·
Awesome I was looking at Team Dynamics, now for a question of offset. I want to inquire for a set of wheels and i wonder what overall offset to balence the tire for most work loads in rally be suited for the 7.0 x 15 with e15 / 23 / 25 / 30 offset options. Stuid yeah i can count that outside, so i wont ask that question. lol.....ok well that was bad joke, ha ha, but I'm greatful for your reply Juggernaut! :)

#14 ·
Yea I would go with Speedline or Compomotive or Braid. As for offset; as close to stock will keep your wheel bearings in check. We used to run steelies with around a +32 offset which did provide a little more wheelbase but the stock +52 or 55 or whatever it is what you want. If you can't get that exactly just get close.

#12 ·
Braid makes very good rally wheels. One of the sponsors over on Fiesta Faction sells them. BrokenMotorsports.

#13 ·
Streetwise Motorsports in CA sells Yokohama. For all around toughness, the Michelin/BFG tires (which are the same tire with a different name molded into them, if it says Michelin it may be either a relatively new tire or fairly old, if it says BFG it's at least a couple of years old, but if they are stored correctly it really shouldn't matter) are in my opinion the top of the line. I didn't abuse my Pirelli's badly enough to pass judgement. The Yokos can take some pretty serious abuse.

As far as wheels go, I've only ever bent one Compomotive, and that was a few weeks ago at Seed 9. To say the impact was nasty is an understatement.

[video]http://www.suosalmirallysport.com/in_car_video/S92012_Stage5_hit.mov[/video]

Previously, I've hit a tree hard enough to bend the brake rotor, and the wheel didn't seem to suffer any damage (though I will have it X-rayed before it every goes on the car again). Incidentally, that impact was the only time I ever had a Michelin go flat after the bead got knocked off the rim. By the way, if you show up at a tire shop with a set of Michelins and Compomotives, they will remember you for a very long time.

--
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.