Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time i was at the dealer, i had them look at it (the rattle) and they told me that i had damaged it, pushed the exaust system forward and it'd cost $250 to fix. after denying the repair, they charged me $80 for diagnosing the problem. so needless to say, the rattle is really getting to me and it's rather embarassing.

so my question is, have you experienced the rattle and how did you fix it? i assume i'll just have to retorque the bolts on the heat shield over the exhaust headers or add some high temp gromets, but i figured i check here first since you guys are awesome

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its the cat heat shield. Bring it to the dealer again and tell them to look at it or just fix it yourself. All they do is throw some wrap ties on...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there two cats? one under the car behind the front wheels, and once up front? a heat shield looking thing fell off from under the car a while back and i just stuck some washers between it and the bolts and it holds just fine. i wouldnt imagine that being the noise cause it sounds more up front. i'll pop the hood this evening and throttle it by hand to get a better idea of where it's coming from.

·
Registered
222 Posts
And by the way, the final fix for your wallet is to talk to the head of the service department or the dealership. Tell them to ask ANY SVT dealer if they've seen this problem ('cause they all have) and get your $80 back.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I ran a search in SVT Headquarters for you to show how common the rattle is on the SVTF's here is one thread about it:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB36&Number=649666&Forum=UBB36&Words=rattle&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=648939&Search=true#Post649666

There are a lot more threads with the same complaints and shows it should be covered by warranty.Just type rattle in the search mode and select within 1 month for the listings.I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I took it in about 3 months ago for the rattle and they said they "adjusted" the heatshield. It did the same thing when I picked it up.

I found another dealer about 3 weeks ago and they replaced the whole cat converter. The tech notes say that it was internal to the cat converter itself. All seems well now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I took mine to 2 different so called SVT dealers and was told that this is normal. I have them ride in my car - next to me - one of them said that he could hear anything at all, the other claimed that this is ok. OK my ars. So, replacing the entire CAT converter assembly was the only way to fix it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah. The dealership said they called SVT and they told them to do that. Who knows with them though.

The guy was cool at the second dealer I went to. He said he heard it when I was in the service right up area explaining it to him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts