Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an '04 ZX3 with just over 20K on the clock. Lately, when going over bumps, pot holes, etc., I have been hearing this rattling sound coming from the rear of the car. I think I have narrowed it down to the insided of the rear hatch. The plastic panel on the inside of the hatch, the one with the "2" hand holds on it to close the hatch is loose. It can move around quite easily just by putting a little pressure on it. There are a couple, three "screws" holding it in place, but they just spin when turning them, screw/pins just to hold it in place I guess. Anyone have any ideas how to tighten this up w/o having to go to the dealership? Thanks in advance.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
the screws are just push screws I beleive, just like the ones that are in the radiator cover over the grill. You have to unscrew them while putting NO pressure on them, just let the weight of the screwdriver keep them in the slot and turn them, then pull them out. There should also be pops holding the panel in place. Theres plenty of stuff behind there that could be rattling. The most likely culprit is either the panel itself or the wiring harness for the wiper. If u have some dynomat laying around maybe thru a little here and there behind the panel. I also think there may be some foam structures behind the panel that may have come loose and shake around, like in the side panels in the hatch, but I dont know if theyre in the hatch cover too. But to answer your question, I dont think u can tighten it down anymore than it is. The screws just spin because they're only push screws like I said, they're like drywall screws, they're screwed into little plastic sleeves.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
the screws are plastic push screws mark. they pop into place and dont tighten. if that's the problem the friction clips (there are several) might be loose.

the wiring harness shouldn't rattle at all. it's well secured. and the panel has a layer of foam behind it as well.

it might be something else. have evan ride in your trunk and try and find the rattle

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
we're already in the states, I havent been in a trunk since the day we left mexi... ahh [censored] im talking too much

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swear, you two just kill me!

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
I hear that same noise and I have an 04. I thought it was a loose suspension part. Tell me if you fix it.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
I had something like this happen with my ZX3 not too long ago. I adjusted the striker on the hatch to tighten it up a bit, and it stopped the noise.

I suggest checking the striker, as I ripped off the interior panel of the hatch only to find it wasn't that that was making the noise.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
The dreaded hatch rattle! All the adjustment in the world won't quiet it down.

The TRICK is to wrap the striker post in two to three wraps of vinyl electrical tape, no more. You need the latch to close.

Swear to f'n G it works. Found the trick buried in this forum, too.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i'll have to try that, even tho its not that bad in my car, i had the tech's tighten the latch. but the plastic cover on the post is cracked on mine, i would imagine that happens alot.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
The dreaded hatch rattle! All the adjustment in the world won't quiet it down.

The TRICK is to wrap the striker post in two to three wraps of vinyl electrical tape, no more. You need the latch to close.

Swear to f'n G it works. Found the trick buried in this forum, too.

I love you. Going to homedepot now so my "suspension will stop clunking" lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
That started happening to my car ages ago, I took it into the dealer cause I had time and was lazy. Turned out all cars come equipped with the mounting location for the Audiophile rear thing (my car isan't Audiophile)... and something was loose so it was rattling.

They tightened it, and I've never heard a rattle since. I tried removing my rear license plate incase it was the culprit, checking the rear seats, everything I could think of, couldn't isolate it. so I took it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this problem since I bought my car and yesterday I decided to do something about it. Who knew a little rattling could drive a lazy person to actually do some manual labor? Anyway, it turns out that a few clips had come out of place behind the panel. A good pounding should jam them back into place. I took a test drive and still noticed a bit of squeaking and rattline coming from the rear. I used some type of spray lubricant on the hinges and then wiped down the plastic seal...a viola, no more noise from the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts