Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it sound like it does when the lifters on my Camaro need adjusting? I am running Mobil1 5w30, it's full of oil. Anybody else hear this on their cars?

·
Registered
712 Posts
The Zetec is very much like a solid lifter motor. The cams push on a bucket which directly moves the valve. Its a little noisy because of this. When I installed my crower cams, I had to change the thinknesses of a few of the buckets. Some of them were on the loose side when I checked clearences. It was even more loud because of it. There is no adjustment that can be made except actually switching the "lifters" or in this case buckets.

Hope that helps,

L8r

BJ

[ 09-23-2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: CasperSE+ ]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think this is totally normal. Mine rattle. The newer Nissans I work on at the shop rattle. Maybe because we have a plastic valve cover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine does this same thing, its like a solid lifter set up like a vw bug everything has to reach a proper operating temp. When it does the metal expands and the clearance closes up and it runs quiet.

[ 09-24-2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: stealdesk ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe because we have a plastic valve cover.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">never thought of that, good thinking. could explain the noise escape.....

·
Registered
686 Posts
As I know the plastic (composite) valve covers actually provide a REDUCTION in engine noise in comparison to die cast aluminum or magnesium valve covers.

[ 09-24-2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yep the rattle is normal....its not the quiets engine...but i'll get up and go with the best of em

1 - 7 of 7 Posts