Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a rattling or clunking type noise when going over small bumps at low speed. I only seem to hear it at lower speeds(under 35). At higher speeds I might not be able to notice it as easily. Any Ideas?? Thanks!

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
My back hurts when I stretch. Any ideas?
Get my point?

Gunna have to be WAAAAY more specific for someone to really be able to provide assistance. This is in the suspension forum, so are you sure its coming from your suspension and not a large exhaust hitting the bumper, something loose in the cabin, etc. You'll probably need to fold the seats down and sit in the hatch while someone else drives so you can try to pinpoint the area its coming from. Get some more detail on the type of noise and specifically where it seems to be coming form and any other detail you can include, and we might be able to figure it out.

Also, what is your suspension setup? Is it all stock or aftermarket? If stock... just bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Same thing is happening to me. Under 40mph I hear a rattle coming from my front right side. Sounds like suspension movement, checked the sway bar linkage...its all good. Any ideas? Strut bearing??

I have had H&R coilovers for about 7000 miles or so.

V

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: V ]</p>

·
Registered
101 Posts
do you have any suspention mods? when i put in my cup kit i for got to put the spring insulators in the back. you should check yours. just a thought though.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Any more ideas?

I haven't changed any suspension stuff in the last 3 months and 6000 miles...it just started getting loud last week

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is the center bolt on the top of the strut tight? ( the bolt that holds the strut bearing and top plate onto the strut assembly ). Mine loosened up a little while after a spring/strut change and made some clunking noise that I could only hear when driving slow ( forward to reverse and back it would clunk ). Just something else to check.......

·
Registered
389 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Under 40mpg I hear a rattle coming from my front right side. <hr></blockquote>

Damn, mine would be rattling all the time... I've never got over 34mpg.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ducman69:
Get my point?

Gunna have to be WAAAAY more specific for someone to really be able to provide assistance. This is in the suspension forum, so are you sure its coming from your suspension and not a large exhaust hitting the bumper, something loose in the cabin, etc. You'll probably need to fold the seats down and sit in the hatch while someone else drives so you can try to pinpoint the area its coming from. Get some more detail on the type of noise and specifically where it seems to be coming form and any other detail you can include, and we might be able to figure it out.

Also, what is your suspension setup? Is it all stock or aftermarket? If stock... just bring it to the dealer.
<hr></blockquote>

I think that was a little rude of you to say. Cars have thousands of parts so anything could be wrong. When you are stumped you ask for help and suggestions on what it could be.

In my Trans Am, I drove for 2 years thinking the rear hatch was loose because it would make the same noises you are describing. I even took it to a Pontiac dealer for them to inspect the problem. The told me the hatch was snug as could be. So I continued on with the rattling for another year.

Well I decided to take my T/A down to Florida this year, naturally I checked the tire pressure on the spare. Low and behold the screw that held the spare down was loose! I jiggled the spare around and sure enough it made the same rattle noise i've heard forever! I checed the pressure, tightened the bolt and sure enough it was gone.

I am not saying thats what it is, but it is worth checking out if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my stock suspension. I installed my h&r cup kit and it went away, but yesterday i pulled into a parking space and heard a large clunk.

its been rattling pretty bad so i finnaly got up under there and i looked at the rear bushing holder that bolts to the frame, on my right control arm was craked on the bottom.

I dunno if i should even bother taking it into the dealer for a warranty thing cuz my car is lowered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get my point?

Hehehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts