·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two killed in car crash on Long Ridge
By Zach Lowe
Staff Writer

Published July 27 2005

STAMFORD -- Two people were killed last night and one person critically injured in a horrific head-on collision between two cars traveling on Long Ridge Road, police and fire officials said.

The 72-year-old male driver of a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible was pronounced dead at the scene near 1400 Long Ridge Road shortly after 9:30 p.m., officials said.

Firefighters from Turn of River Fire Department extricated the Chrysler's two passengers: the driver's 58-year-old wife and a 23-year-old male.

The woman, who was not conscious during the rescue, was transported to Westchester County Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y., where she was pronounced dead on arrival, Turn of River Fire Chief Ray Whitbread said.

The other passenger was listed in extremely critical condition early this morning at Stamford Hospital, said Sgt. Andrew Gallagher, head of the police department's Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Squad.

Gallagher said the other car involved in the crash was a 2002 BMW X5 sport-utility vehicle. The driver of that car, a 32-year-old woman, was taken to Stamford Hospital with what appeared to be nonlife-threatening injuries, he said.

Police did not identify the victims late last night.

Police said it was unclear what caused the crash or what direction each car was traveling. Police said they were treating the crash area as a crime scene last night.

Police blocked off Long Ridge Road between the Merritt Parkway and the New York state border. Emergency personnel from Pound Ridge, N.Y., assisted at the scene.

Whitbread, who drove the ambulance to Valhalla, said the decision to take the Chrysler's passenger to Westchester County Medical Center was made by medics at the scene.

The Chrysler came to a stop at the edge of the southbound side of Long Ridge Road. The front of the car was smashed in all the way to the windshield, making it appear as if only half the car remained.

The BMW lay flipped over on the northbound side of the road, its hazard lights flashing.

The crash remains under investigation, police said.

-- Norwalk Editor Peter Davenport contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2005, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.
link

Well that was a few months ago, In today’s paper there was an update on the case and what is going on.
Also as a weird twist of fate, My friends family that moved to Florida, was friends with the people killed.

Second-grade teacher arrested in car crash that killed 3
By Eve Sullivan
Staff Writer

Published September 27 2005

STAMFORD -- A second-grade teacher has been arrested for allegedly driving drunk, crossing the double yellow line and killing three people in a head-on collision on Long Ridge Road in July.

Tricia Coccomo, 32, of 235 W. Haviland Lane, Stamford, was charged with three counts of second-degree manslaughter and three counts of second-degree manslaughter with a motor vehicle. The second charge alleges driving while intoxicated.

If convicted, she faces up to 60 years in prison.

Coccomo, who has been teaching at Stamford's International School at Rogers Magnet Elementary since 2002, was put on paid administrative leave at the start of the school year.

"She will require time and energy to focus on the charges, and we don't feel the teaching environment would be the best place for her while she does that," said Carlton Moody, assistant superintendent for human capital development for Stamford Public Schools. "It would be a distraction for her and the school community."

Coccomo's attorney, Michael Sherman, said she surrendered Friday and posted a $50,000 bond. She was released for an Oct. 6 court appearance.

"She's naturally anxious," Sherman said. "These cases don't get any more serious than this, and we have to wait to see what unfolds."

Police say Coccomo was driving north on Long Ridge Road just south of Den Road in a 2002 BMW X5 sport utility vehicle at about 9:30 p.m. July 26 when she crossed onto the southbound side of the road and struck a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible.

The other driver, James Inverno, 72, of 2054 Long Ridge Road, was declared dead at the scene. His wife, Barbara Inverno, 58, was transported to the Westchester County Medical Center in Mount Pleasant, N.Y., where she died.

Glenn Shelley, 23, of Buttonball Trail, Norwalk, their back-seat passenger, was ejected from the convertible. He was taken to Stamford Hospital, where he died.

The top was up on the convertible, but no one in the car was wearing seat belts, police said. Coccomo, who was only slightly hurt, was buckled up, they said.

Sgt. Andrew Gallagher, head of the Stamford Police Department's Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Squad, issued a statement yesterday but did not disclose Coccomo's blood-alcohol content. Speed does not appear to have been a factor, Gallagher said.

James and Barbara Inverno were the parents of twin 30-year-old sons, Thomas and Timothy, who were with them minutes before the crash.

According to an attorney for the twins, Burt Hoffman, the Invernos left their home and were heading to a diner with Shelley, an employee of James Inverno's business, Springdale Fuel Oil Co.

Thirty minutes later, police arrived at their door with the news of the crash, Hoffman said. In the days after the crash, the sons learned that alcohol may have been a factor in the crash, he said.

Hoffman said the Invernos are grieving and hope the courts will mete out justice.

"If it's proved to be alcohol-related, they hope they can set an example," he said.

Though James Inverno was the sole proprietor of his fuel company, one of his sons will keep the business operating, Hoffman said.

"Tom worked with him and was totally dependent on him," the attorney said. "Now, he has to pick up the business and learn it without his father's guidance and it's extremely difficult."

Steven Jacobs, a New Haven attorney for Karen Seeley, Shelley's mother, said she is going through a difficult time.

"She is devastated," Jacobs said. "It's been a horrific experience for her."

Especially tragic for Seeley, who has a younger son, is that her husband, Shelley's father, was killed in a car accident in Philadelphia about 10 years ago caused by drunken driving, Jacobs said.

"She has had this terrible feeling of deja vu, which makes her experience of losing a child to a drunk-driving accident even more devastating than it would have already been," Jacobs said.

Seeley has filed a civil claim against Coccomo, Jacobs said. The Invernos have not taken civil action against Coccomo because they have to clear up some legal issues, their attorney said.

Before Coccomo was hired as a full-time teacher, she did substitute teaching and was a student teacher in Stamford, Moody said. Moody said school officials will evaluate her situation continually.

"This is something we are concerned about, and we will be actively monitoring it," he said.

Moody said inquiries from staff members and parents are likely, and school officials want to handle the questions while respecting Coccomo's privacy.

As for the students, Moody said they are young and he's not sure whether they will ask questions.

"It's hard for them to comprehend," he said.
from

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Re: REALLY bad crash in my neighborhood

pointless without pics

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts

my friend was there at the scene he said the old guy is still trapped in the car since they couldn't get his body out and his brains were outta his head
edit: btw my friend is a voulenteer at the fire department so he was just doing his job.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

my friend was there at the scene he said the old guy is still trapped in the car since they couldn't get his body out and his brains were outta his head
yea i didn't really need to know that

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oh come on I would have thought this was perfect amo for Focaljet, this has almost every driving group they could want to bash, senior citizens, SUV drivers, women, hell all they need is a street racing story.

Seriously though I just think it sucks when there is a crash like this by my house, reminds you of the fact that a crash can happen anywhere, but it usually happens near home.

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts

Oh come on I would have thought this was perfect amo for Focaljet, this has almost every driving group they could want to bash, senior citizens, SUV drivers, women, hell all they need is a street racing story.

Seriously though I just think it sucks when there is a crash like this by my house, reminds you of the fact that a crash can happen anywhere, but it usually happens near home.
i guess you just gotta live here to appreciate it
oh and how come i never see you driving around. out of the 4 or so people on FJ in stamford ur like the only one i haven't seen. i've even seen the guy with the twilight blue duratec that hasn't been on the forums since he moved here.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

oh and how come i never see you driving around. out of the 4 or so people on FJ in stamford ur like the only one i haven't seen. i've even seen the guy with the twilight blue duratec that hasn't been on the forums since he moved here.
I work 2 jobs, in Norwalk so I’m usually there, not in Stamford. When I go home I just hop on rd 7 connector, then the Merrit parkway, and then just get of on long ridge and go home.
I live way up in north Stamford so I don’t really drive down town. Hell I just realized yesterday that they repaved the beginning of long ridge road! When did they do that!

Drive by Circuit City in the evening and you will see my car. If you go inside you can’t miss me. I work in the Computer department, have a bunch of tattoos, and have a Mohawk
(not to be confused with the big black guy with a Mohawk that is the bouncer, I mean receipt checker
)

Also I just found out today that the people that died in the crash are friends of friends.

The last person that died on this road used to ride next to me on the bus when I was in High school, and turned out to be the cousin of my then girlfriend.

It seams every time I somehow find a connection to the people that died…

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts

I work 2 jobs, in Norwalk so I’m usually there, not in Stamford. When I go home I just hop on rd 7 connector, then the Merrit parkway, and then just get of on long ridge and go home.
I live way up in north Stamford so I don’t really drive down town. Hell I just realized yesterday that they repaved the beginning of long ridge road! When did they do that!

Drive by Circuit City in the evening and you will see my car. If you go inside you can’t miss me. I work in the Computer department, have a bunch of tattoos, and have a Mohawk
(not to be confused with the big black guy with a Mohawk that is the bouncer, I mean receipt checker
)

Also I just found out today that the people that died in the crash are friends of friends.

The last person that died on this road used to ride next to me on the bus when I was in High school, and turned out to be the cousin of my then girlfriend.

It seams every time I somehow find a connection to the people that died…
oh i see ur car at CC all the time. i've prob seen you too but just didnt notice. you always are usually backed in to a spot closest to the building in the first little parking area opposite from the ricer parked SI and 325 w the CF hood. i had no idea that they repaved long ridge since i live on high ridge i really have no need to go on long ridge. plus they always have speed traps on long ridge now. my friend whos a voulenteer tells me when they're in the area

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

oh i see ur car at CC all the time. i've prob seen you too but just didnt notice. you always are usually backed in to a spot closest to the building in the first little parking area opposite from the ricer parked SI and 325 w the CF hood. i had no idea that they repaved long ridge since i live on high ridge i really have no need to go on long ridge. plus they always have speed traps on long ridge now. my friend whos a voulenteer tells me when they're in the area
:yea that’s me, if my spot is taken I tend to park with the "ricers" though

The SI belongs to one of the managers, and the CF hood BMW is one of my coworkers. I give the manager credit though he does not ½ ass his civic, when he puts parts on his car he does it right (he actually PAINTED his body kit when he put it on the car, not 2 months later
)

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts

yeah, friends of some of the car audio guys are the ones with the riced out civics and crap. i actually know a couple kids that work in there though as well as one of the guys in home audio too. i gotta try and see if i can get the hookup for xm from one of them before i leave to CA for college

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

bump
new info in first post

Well that was a few months ago, In today’s paper there was an update on the case and what is going on.
Also as a weird twist of fate, My friends family that moved to Florida, was friends with the people killed.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

That's really really sad.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

"She will require time and energy to focus on the charges, and we don't feel the teaching environment would be the best place for her while she does that," said Carlton Moody, assistant superintendent for human capital development for Stamford Public Schools. "It would be a distraction for her and the school community."
Yes...a distraction...because that's a bigger problem than having someone who's supposed to be an example for children driving drunk...

·
Registered
780 Posts

They don't say in there whether the lack of seatbelts played a role in their deaths. That's a sad situation nonetheless.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hard to feel bad for people who don't wear seatbelts.
Both vehicles collided head on at full speed (each was traveling 50mph, so s net crash speed of 100mph.)

The convertible had the entire front end flattened into the passenger compartment, there were no seats left in the front.

The only person who may have survived from seatbelt usage was the 23 year old in the back seat.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

Coccomo, who has been teaching at Stamford's International School at Rogers Magnet Elementary since 2002, was put on paid administrative leave at the start of the school year.

Right. So she was drunk, got into an accident, killed some people and they put her on paid leave!!

Even if she DID go back to teaching, I'd switch schools for my daughter before I'd let her be in that woman's classroom!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

if she was put on unpaid leave, there would probably be legal action based on the fact that she is innocent until proven guilty.

paid leave is the proper choice in this case, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts