Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of installing new rotors and pads all the way around on my SVT Ford Focus. I did the front brakes no problem. The rear brakes are a different story.

I am trying to close the rear brake caliper, move piston all the way in, and it wont budge. I even got a heavy duty C-Clamp and it wont budge, it actually bent my C-Clamp!

Oh and the emergency brake is not on. Is there something I forgot to do, is there a trick to this? I do have the brake reservoir open, where you put brake fluid in.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think all rear disc brake calipers are like this - you have to put pressure on it AND turn it in at the same time. There is a special tool to do this. You can probably rent it at AutoZone, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! I'll rent it tomorrow. I sat there for days trying to get that damn thing on. Thanks for the help. I almost paid $120 to have a shop do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
OMG! I'll rent it tomorrow. I sat there for days trying to get that damn thing on. Thanks for the help. I almost paid $120 to have a shop do it. Thanks again.
Just keep in mind that you have to press in real hard while turning or else it will just turn and not move much. Don't ask me why cause I don't know. All I know is that it takes some serious grunt.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
I actually replaced mine tonight. What I did was pump the ebrake lever on the caliper a few times, and then I was able to turn the piston and it moved in......without me needing to put any force on the piston at all.

This didn't work until I pumped that ebrake lever a couple of times though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do you have to take the pads off to expand the calipers? I have the adapter tool, but I don't see a place to use it. I'm obviously not a mechanic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts