Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my car seems to have a squirm in the rear under hard braking. What could cause this problem?

If I brake hard from < 40-50mph the car is totally stable. If I do the same at > 50mph the rear end seems very loose. At higher speeds like 70-80mph the rear end actually feels totally out of control.

Nate

·
Registered
976 Posts
well you have a big weight shift to the front wheels. does the car seem to put to one side, are turning when this happens?to much braking In the rear can also be a problemdo your rear wheels ever lock up

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
That sounds like normal behavior to me. Do you have any suspension modifications? My SVT suspension will oversteer on hard braking, and a larger rear sway bar would definitely make it more pronounced.

The lesson is, don't slam on your brakes at 80 unless you're pointed in a straight line, or else you'll have some awesome dorifto fun.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
You should try it at 120mph and see how fast it comes around. On a track of course. Unless you live in Germany then the Autobahn is your testbed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
man I wish I could drive the autobahn
maybe some day
Believe me the excitement goes away when an Audi station wagon full of fat Germans passes you doing at least 160 mph! 140, just doesn't cut it anymore! Blah!

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
I've noticed my car seems to have a squirm in the rear under hard braking. What could cause this problem?

If I brake hard from < 40-50mph the car is totally stable. If I do the same at > 50mph the rear end seems very loose. At higher speeds like 70-80mph the rear end actually feels totally out of control.

Nate

Maybe you could use some damper tuning.

How many miles are on your shocks?

Another Q I have (on all our drum brake Focuses) is how the rear brakes' auto-adjustment mechanism might affect side-to-side brake balance... It shouldn't, if it's not activated by applying the brakes in reverse, like some older systems.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Practice makes perfect. Had the rear come out on the Ring this weekend but I have learned to drift the rear a little in the curves now. A little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts