Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen and heard of every other combination of engine/drivewheel there is... except for one.

Has any company ever made a Rear Engine - Front Wheel Drive car?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
If they did, I can't see how it would POSSIBLY be Beneficial, which is why I'll bet it hasn't happened, unless there's a Freak car out there somewhere.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
If you thought rearward weight transfer under acceleration with a front-engine, front wheel drive was bad....

I would honestly be very surprised if an actual mainstream production car was ever built in a rear-engine, front wheel drive configuration. It just wouldn't make any sense from an engineering or vehicle dynamics standpoint. I'm sure there may be one or two freak offerings out there that meet your criteria though. Nearly everything has been tried once.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like a horrible failure of an idea. I was just curious.

I was playing GT3 the other day and after going through my garage I realized that its the only configuration not available. In case your were wondering how I came up with the question.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
But imagine the traction and acceleration you could have in reverse!!!!!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Wouldn't a FWD car have more traction in reverse?
yes, and essentially, in reverse a FWD is a rear engine RWD.....and in reverse a RWD is a rear engine FWD.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im not sure what it was called, or who made it, but the very first front wheel drive car had a longitudenaly mounted engine behind the front wheels, driving them as if it were a rear wheel driver, no transaxle, regular old diff.

I think this is the closest youll get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts