Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have 2000 wagon and i've been havind problems with the rear right side . last year i put in some new shocks front and rear . kyb stock replacements the front struts are fine but on big bumps hit hard . the rear are ok no problems on rebound but the right side(driverside) gives this sound like its busted but does work fine . the sound is like a chlanking noise over any little bump. i have replaced that shock three times . the third shock lasted about 5 months . tired of the same shock i went to pep boys and put on some defferent shocks 2 days later the same thing . so now in thinking that the shock is not deffective but something else is up not sure what . the stock shocks never made this noise thinking of puting those back on for . any info for the wagon if there are problems with them . thanks . the springs are still stock and about 76000 miles on them . should they be change or still got life left ? any help guys thanks.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Here, allow me to translate:

hi guys i have 2000 wagon and i've been havind problems with the rear right side .

last year i put in some new shocks front and rear . kyb stock replacements

the front struts are fine but on big bumps hit hard . the rear are ok no problems on rebound but the right side(driverside) gives this sound like its busted but does work fine .

the sound is like a chlanking noise over any little bump. i have replaced that shock three times . the third shock lasted about 5 months . tired of the same shock i went to pep boys and put on some defferent shocks 2 days later the same thing .

so now in thinking that the shock is not deffective but something else is up not sure what . the stock shocks never made this noise thinking of puting those back on for .

any info for the wagon if there are problems with them . thanks .

the springs are still stock and about 76000 miles on them . should they be change or still got life left ? any help guys thanks.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Clanking noises in the rear are generally expected when using aftermarket shocks. You should pick up a pair of P-51 shims and install them at the top of the shock mount. They dampen a lot of the motion that causes that noise.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
Clanking noises in the rear are generally expected when using aftermarket shocks. You should pick up a pair of P-51 shims and install them at the top of the shock mount. They dampen a lot of the motion that causes that noise.
uhm, don't wagons mount entirely underneath the car? i don't think p-51s will work here.

has the car been in any accidents? is there any phsyical damage to the outside of the shock housings

Mike

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Y'all are correct the wagon shocks do mount different. Both ends have an eye, like the bottom of a sedan/hatch shock. Shims won't help.

I'd look into the swaybar next, then perhaps other bushings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
check the upper strut bolts and make sure they are good and tight.

When I put the eibachs on my wagon I didnt get the upper bolt all the way tightened down, and the suspension was making a nasty "KLANK" noises over any bump.

·
TEAM Member
733 Posts
Please double-check the upper SHOCK bolts in the rear of your wagon. Get both sides. Those bolts are in moderately tricky locations and may not have been tightened all the way.

If you don't have one of these already, purchase a set of wobbler sockets or extensions so that you can use a socket wrench to accurately tighten these shock bolts down while attacking it from the odd, limited angles back there.

Also, if you have a rear sway bar, make sure that the end links have been assembled properly and that they are also tightened appropriately.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys sorry been away. the wagon shocks are different and yes everything is tight. its only on the driverside the noise comes from . the first time i change it as soon as i left the shop i herd it they checked the shock to see if it was tight. it was and the n they told me i bought a bad shock. took it back got a new one worked fine . same this time but after 2 to 3 days noise ame back . hopfully this weekend ill know more .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i got my car back lastnight. the shock was chaned and noise is gone for now. i have a abs light on? they say that they cant find what is wrong. this is what happen , took it in to do brake work , they broke my rear passengerside wheelbearing and bought a drum with bearing and installed it .after that the light came on. im thinking they lefted somthing off when installing the new drum . any guesses to what it maybe ? thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts