Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how far back it started, but I just noticed a lot of noise coming from my rear end (har har). At first I thought it was just tire noise, the Yoko ES100's are quite noisy ... but I noticed it was just coming from the rear. Also ... when I take corners hard, I hear *clunk clunk clunk* from the outside rear wheel (left turn, right rear and vice versa). Someone suggested that my bearings might be going out ... but before I take it to Ford to have them check that I want to be sure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
definately the bearings....they are easy to change...better get on it before they completly go and risk ruining your spindle drum and shoes to go with it...easy fix that can cause a really expensive one...

ps...happened to me on the way back from L.A.
cost me 550 to fix it...if i would have fixed the bearings earlier it would have cost 50 60 bucks tops...

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Are the shocks loose in the back? were they mount to the chassie? Stranger things have happened, but i think it is a little odd that both bearing would be going out at the same time. How do your sway bar end links look? Hve you checked to see if the bushings are worn, or the endlinks are loose. I would check the sway bar above anything else.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I've got a DIFFERENT guess.
How many miles on your tires?
Have they EVER been rotated?
Try rolling through some dust or a fine film of flour, then drive a few feet, then look at the tires.
If you see diagonal wear lines on the rear tires, you'll know that it's all your fault for failing to rotate the tires.
YIf you don't rotate the tires on a FWD car, the rear tires will develop a diagonal "scalloped" wear pattern that makes the rear tires out of round and makes alot more noise and bumpiness.
I guarantee you that at least half of the FWD cars in any mall parking lot that DON'T have New or bald tires have this condition.
I may be wrong in your case, but it's Definitely something to check FIRST.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a DIFFERENT guess.
How many miles on your tires?
Have they EVER been rotated?
Try rolling through some dust or a fine film of flour, then drive a few feet, then look at the tires.
If you see diagonal wear lines on the rear tires, you'll know that it's all your fault for failing to rotate the tires.
YIf you don't rotate the tires on a FWD car, the rear tires will develop a diagonal "scalloped" wear pattern that makes the rear tires out of round and makes alot more noise and bumpiness.
I guarantee you that at least half of the FWD cars in any mall parking lot that DON'T have New or bald tires have this condition.
I may be wrong in your case, but it's Definitely something to check FIRST.
I don't keep track of how many miles I put on them, but I have rotated them twice so far. I guess I'll try that first and see if the noise goes away.

That doesn't explain the clunking noise during cornering though ....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Unless you rotated them too late one time, it may NOT be it.
The Clunking would be from the flat spots that occur, but w/o hearing it, I can't swear to anything.
Another possibility for the clunk would be if the shock nuts at the top of the shocks aren't totally tight.
Even still some aftermarket shocks have a little klunk.
The P-51 shims and proper torque should take care of that if that is the problem.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you rotated them too late one time, it may NOT be it.
The Clunking would be from the flat spots that occur, but w/o hearing it, I can't swear to anything.
Another possibility for the clunk would be if the shock nuts at the top of the shocks aren't totally tight.
Even still some aftermarket shocks have a little klunk.
The P-51 shims and proper torque should take care of that if that is the problem.
Shims are in, nuts SHOULD be tight (when I installed the KYG AGX I tightened them once before the car was on the ground, and once after driving a bit), but I will double check. The clunking ONLY happens when I'm cornering, and usually only during hard(er) cornering.

I have to take off a bunch of stuff on my car this week, so I will double check all the suspension while I have it up on the jacks. If it doesn't go away after checking the swaybar, shocks and tires ... should I assume that it is the bearing(s)?

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
I have to take off a bunch of stuff on my car this week, so I will double check all the suspension while I have it up on the jacks. If it doesn't go away after checking the swaybar, shocks and tires ... should I assume that it is the bearing(s)?
I'll be working in Westlake Village most of this coming week; stop by around lunchtime and I'll listen to the music your car is making.

Maybe we can figure out what it is.

PM me.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
If everything checks out to be at proper torque or greater, and the tires are OK, then it's either the bearings or failed dampers. .... I THINK....??

·
19,806 Posts
A last resort will be to wiggle t3h d4mp3r.

·
19,806 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts