Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same old story it seems. 2001 SPI suddenly came down with a poor idle, code says it's spark plug #3. On the way home with the new plugs when the engine makes a noise that sounds like a lawnmower running over gravel. Starts, but no power and there's oil on the third plug. Dealer says the third piston is shot and the engine is gone. 88,000 miles--gee, sorry. $4800 for a new one. On further inquiry, "new" actually means Ford rebuilt. Pass.

I'm generally mechanically inclined, so I figure I could drop a longblock in if it came down to it. Used engines seem to be a no-go. Rebuilt is possible, but I'm not sure of where to get to get one.

Specifically I'd like to know:

1) if anybody can recommend a source for a rebuilt SPI engine.

2) if anybody can recommend an engine hoist that'll do the job.

I also really have no idea what tools I'll need, etc., and I have a strong feeling that trying to fix this thing is a fool's errand, but it's got new tires, battery, a full tank of gas, etc., so here I am nonetheless. Thanks in advance folks, sorry this is my first post here.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Why not drop in a Zetec? There's plenty of used Zetecs laying around wrecked, and they're generally very reliable. The SPI to Zetec swap is a pretty well-known job. The extra little bit of power you'll gain is just an added benefit.

In theory, you could even swap in a Duratec, but it'd be a bit more expensive. Either way, you're going to have to change the PCM, so...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The only way to pull off the Zetec swap the right way, with out making 100 trips back and forth to the junk yard searching for parts, is to buy a complete Zetec focus. I would'nt suggest this kind of thing for some body that just wants to get back on the road fast.

Here, this guy is throwing away a good running SPI because he cant find a buyer.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214691

Oh and they said "piston is shot". Well no, thats not what happend. You dropped a valve seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
whatever you do...do not use marshall's engines...they have the warranty in which you pay for everything out of pocket and then they "decide if they want to reimburse you or not" I am already out $500.00 on an engine that is "brand new" and under a 100,000 mile warranty...
and i would suggest the zetec swap also...i didn't do it but you will spend the same amount of money...$3200.00+ and you'll have a better engine...you'll save more if you do it your self since it cost me $1700.00 for then engine and $1000.00 to have it put in...so...good luck with it either way...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. Zetec swap is impractical; I don't have a source for one, though I suppose I'll keep that option open.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Marshall; they were about the only option I'd found online.

I'll continue to look into the zetec option. I'm not in any terrible hurry.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
gobbler---they were about the only option i found online also...but they didn't seem to understand that after shelling out $3200 of not my money, I didn't have the other thousands of dollars they wanted me to spend on diagnostic charges and reinstalling new engines...and they have to check everything themselves, they won't take the word of a certified mechanic (which is crap to me...) and then they only paid 80% of labor, none of the extras...all this for a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty...go figure. hope it goes better for you...

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I hate to have to say it but no source is a good source for a rebuilt SPI.

These engines are simply notorious for issues, Ford has actually got an exceptionally good remanufactured engine program and I've seen reman SPI's fail a few times.

I can do a Ford reman unit for $2050.00 plus a $1000.00 core charge and more than likely no shipping costs.

It's got a 3 year 100k parts and labor warranty that's backed by every dealer in the country, you can NOT get a better warranty on a reman engine.

I wish I could say that the reman engines are perfect and all the issues have been fixed but it's simply not the case, it's something inherently wrong with the SPI itself that rebuilding can not do away with.

Buying a used SPI is pointless unless you enjoy swapping engines as a hobby because you'll probably end up in the same boat in a short time. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The only way to pull off the Zetec swap the right way, with out making 100 trips back and forth to the junk yard searching for parts, is to buy a complete Zetec focus. I would'nt suggest this kind of thing for some body that just wants to get back on the road fast.

Here, this guy is throwing away a good running SPI because he cant find a buyer.

Oh and they said "piston is shot". Well no, thats not what happend. You dropped a valve seat.

Yep thats me... I havent dug into the engine yet.. i was going to start doing that today soooooo...if you want it let me know.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

O disagree with having to run back and forth to the junkyard. if you go to the junkard knowing what you will need then you wont have a problem...and afew of the SPI and Zetec parts work together so yea.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Id look into a jasper rebuilt engine thats what i have in mine, i had a local shop put it in my car that they told me is the rebuild company takes some flaws and fixes them like a better intake manifold and all that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts