Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reflections on resale value after the fact. - Didn\'t SUCK

My sticker was $21,070 on my 03 SVT 5 door loaded.
My trade in value was $14,000.

Yikes.

But wait, I didn't pay sticker.
about $1,000 off for X Plan and $2,500 REBATE.

$21,070-$1,000-$2500=$17,570
So dropping from $17,570 to $14,000 in 5 months is not horrible. At least it sounds better than my first calculation of $21,070 to $14,000.

But wait it gets better I suppose. I took advantage of a Ford Early Bird Lease Termination deal where they ate my last 6 payments. Hey I was getting rid of that car anyway so to me that really counts. $442x6=$2,652.

So I really paid:
$21,070
-$1,000 X Plan
-$2,500 Rebate
-$2,652 Early Bird Termination
--------
$14,918 What I really paid.

Granted there were taxes, license, fees but that's always the case.

So my bottom line depends on how you look at it:

Either I paid $17,570 and received $14,000 on trade loosing $3,570 in 3 months.

Or I paid $14,918 and received $14,000 on trade loosing juist $918 in 5 months.

I was also dumb enough to blow $800 on a clifford Solaris alarm/remote start (safe for stick shifts) that I had to leave in car so yeah I lost money, but all in all I think the car held it's value a lot better than I initially thought - even without the early bird. Without the early bird lease termination factored in it retained 79.6% of it's purchase price after 5 months 3,500 miles with 04's coming round the corner.

But wait again, it gets better still. I got $1,500 off new car and another $2,500 rebate so if you factor that in and can live with thinking you paid full sticker for an 03 Cobra 10th anniversary.

So I really paid:
$21,070
-$1,000 X Plan discount on SVT Focus
-$2,500 Rebate on Focus
-$2,652 Early Bird Termination
-$1,500 discount on Cobra
-$2,500 Rebate on Cobra
--------
$10,918 What I really paid.

Now since I traded it in for $14,000 I really made $3,082 on the deal
(Think my wife will buy that?)

The last comparision was just for S&G's but seriously even at purchased price of $17,570 after rebate and discount trading it in for $14,000 doesn't sound so horrible anymore.

This is not salesmans logic, the deal is done, they never mentioned it, I just came up with it while lying in bed staring at the ceiling in another insomniac fit.

Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Reflections on resale value after the fact. - Didn\'t SUCK

Sounds good to me Dan. So, how is the new Cobra? That's the big question on my mind. What's it like driving it compared to the SVTF?

·
Registered
286 Posts

Hmmm...must be that new math!

If you are concerned about "investing" your money, and are buying a new car, well, you just blew your plan all to @#$!. Facts show time and time again, a new car is the worst place to put money. Buy it cuz you want it! Screw the money! Hey, it could be worse....remember those guys who just had to have the then-new Honda S2000, and were paying $10K over sticker? Well, that $45K "investment" is now worth about $18K!! D'oh!

Of course, be smart with your money, but ENJOY YOUR CAR!
~Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

* Wife didn't buy the profit from trade but was OK with purchase.

* Of course cars are the worst investments but what was nice was after reviewing the numbers the cars value didn't tank as badly as I thought it did. If I didn't get a rebate on 03 SVT Focus it would have been much worse. My point about value was simply it's not that terribe if you look at what you paid not what it lists for.

* Cobra vs Focus SVT - There are things I will miss about my Focus SVT: HID's, heated seats, moonroof, steering wheel radio controls, usefulness of hatchback... SVT Focus has tigher manueverability, - easier to turn around and get in garage.

The Cobra seems like unlimited power. Rolling start at 1,000 RPMs and power power power. All leather seats are much more comfortable and adjustable than Focus SVT leather/cloth.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the SVT Focus (from 4,000 RPMs and above)

Don't want to post too much about Cobra in this Focus SVT group - just answering questions.

Remember Wayne Ford, Wayne NJ might has a sweet deal on my old Focus 3,500 Miles Loaded Black 5 door blue trim

Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts

No problem Dan, I asked the question, and thanks for answering. I don't think anyone here would have a prob with that. I hope to get an '03 Cobra as my next vehicle, and just wondered about torque, although I really knew the answer, it's nice to hear it from a former SVTF owner. Sounds all good to me.
Still love my SVTF, but want something that turns the earth under it, instead of just rolling over it.
Good luck with the Cobra!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.