Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a removable steering wheel an effective anti theft device? You cant steal what you cant steer, right? and also, if i use the same quick release steering wheel hub on two cars (each having their own) can i use one wheel for both?

[ 04-28-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Gutted Hatch ]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry man if some wants your ride they will follow you around with a tow truck and take the whole ride. It happened to a friend of mine.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that if someone wants my car bad enough, they will get it no matter what security system i have. what im trying to prevent is some random "im gonna jack this car" type thing.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It'll stop the joyrider types, but a "professional" will find a way to deal with your so-called foil. The one wheel for two cars would work...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by D:
Sorry man if some wants your ride they will follow you around with a tow truck and take the whole ride. It happened to a friend of mine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was about to reply to him that "they don't need your steering wheel..they'll just use the tow truck to steer your whole car!"..lmao...beat me to it

[ 04-28-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Doctor iOn ]

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I don't know........I drove my '60 Valiant pretty well with a vice-grip once........once.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these replies, coupled with the fact that i really dont need to be spending any money make my decision a LOT easier!

·
Registered
482 Posts
It could. The Grant company came up with this years ago with a quick disconnect steering wheel setup that you could adapt to any of their aftermarket steering wheels. Personally, it's a novel idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to lug my steering wheel around with me after I park the car. It's not like a stereo faceplate that will fit in your pocket

Grant Vehicle Security System

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I remember on two guys garage a long time ago, they demonstrated a different type of theft deterent steering wheel. Instead of the wheel coming off, a coupling was disengaged, letting the steering wheel "free wheel." It is useless without the key to re-engage the mechanism. This way, you don't have to take out the steering wheel, but you get the same effect as if it wasn't there.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If it were removable, you would want it to me a female coupling that was left there. In other words, the vise-grips wouldnt work. Soo what i mean? That wasy it would be flush with nothing to grap onto. Kind of a pain in the ass if you ask me, but if you into it, go for it. L8er Jon

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If it were removable, you would want it to me a female coupling that was left there. In other words, the vise-grips wouldnt work. Soo what i mean? That wasy it would be flush with nothing to grap onto. Kind of a pain in the ass if you ask me, but if you into it, go for it. L8er Jon

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by BUR_ZX3:
*cough*cough*transmission*cough*cough
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, like Todd said, just get a removable transmission and keep it in your pocket when you're not driving.

On a more serious note, no steering wheel would be a definite theft deterrent, at least for the amateurs -- but the pros don't steal Fords anyway. Poor resale isn't always a bad thing!!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Originally posted by Crankenstein:
Personally, it's a novel idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to lug my steering wheel around with me after I park the car.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know it's old... but:

A Pirate walks into a bar. The bartender says "Ahoy thar, pirate, be that a steering wheel in your pants?"

The pirate replies: "Arrrr matey, it's driving me nuts!"

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by BUR_ZX3:
*cough*cough*transmission*cough*cough
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Originally posted by ME:
these replies, coupled with the fact that i really dont need to be spending any money make my decision a LOT easier!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my bf drive his car with a vice grip when his steering whell was tolen, it's possible to do.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
how about something that fires million-watt laser beams at anything that comes in contact with the car? yah buddy. You're dead. Oh you have one of those cool tow trucks that lets you just back up and remotely grab the wheels? How's it work with 200 holes in it from my laser beam? yah, you got owned.

lol...

IF someone wants your car bad enough, it's theirs. Stealing a focus isn't really big business right now anyways. It's more about breaking into them to get the goods inside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts