Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just got new rear quarter panels and i wanted to know how to get the old ones off, i have a 2002 ford focus zx3, please help thanks.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You have to remove all of the interior trim, and cut the panels themselves off of the unibody frame. And yes, the new ones need to be welded back on.

The quarter panels are actually an integral part of the car's structure. Removing them is tricky.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
uhhh I hope you know what you are getting into...this isnt an ammature job. Its alot of work..and I HOPE that they are at least RS quaters. the best advice I can give you (from growing up watching good body men work) put the new quarter next to the old one to see where it needs to be cutthis will give you a starting point...you are gonna have to grind off the paint where the quarters get welded anyway (ie the door jamb) you will see where it was welded in the first place. And you are gonna have to cut all of the tack welds on the inside and underneigth the car. Its alot of work...Im telling you...you have to make sure all of the spacing in the door opening is the same and the trunk also. Plus the striker pin for the door to close. Im just saying that if you are asking a question like: "how do I get the old ones off?" and "where would i cut? and would i have to weld the new ones on?", this might not be a job for you. IF you do attempt it...get it clamped into place and get everything lined up...then put a few tack welds...and KEEP CHECKING IT, before you weld it on completely. Best of luck to you!!!

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
That is why Ford is doing my RS conversion.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
what all is on the new 'quarter panel' you have?

the quarter panel on the car is also that panel that goes to the side of the roof.. its not only the quarter panel.. you have to cut the part off you have a replacement for and weld in the new piece and use bondo and crap like that to smooth it out

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Sounds to me like you shouln't have bought the rear quarter panel, you should have bought a whole new chasis. By the time you could personally measure, cut, grind, weld, grind weld, grind, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand.... you could have just swapped everything over from the old to the new.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Ok, you are putting on the fender flares. If they are metal, then the old ones will be cut off and these welded on and smoothed, lota work. Fiberglass or plastic, the old ones will be cut off or covered and blended in.

Find a body shop.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I thought the WRC widebody kit was just stick on flares? Or is this a different one?

Oh, and just because:

the best advice I can give you from growing up watching good body men work

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
I KNEW someone (more than likely YOU) would say something about that...I was trying to find another way to word that...O-WELL
..I have NO shame

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
that was funny j, lol
i think this guy thinks hes getting quarters. is it the ww kit? tey are jsut stick on man, really easy in comparisson, lol wow, way easier.
Adamo

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Keep in mind too that the rear side windows need to b removed to do this aswell.

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts