Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a block plate for the egr at the intake manifold connection.

Today i removed the rest of the EGR system, plugged the hoses, and capped off the hole on the header.

What a difference, it runs smooth, idles even better and faster.

AND no CEL yet. I have been riding around all day, so if a cel pops up ill keep you informed.

chris

[ 01-30-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Sweet man... give it time. It will come back. But it DOES run soooo much better without the EGR.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i dont think it will come back if he would have left the sensor attached...but then again you shouldnt remove the sonsor anyway...

let the egr sensor blow out in the open and it wont throw a code...unplug it..theres ur problem...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Did mine two weeks ago, no light until yesterday. If it comes on in another two weeks, I'll get it scanned to make sure it's the egr. Great mod tho. Later doods

g

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
chris, now we're prolly screwed, md just instituted their new test pluggin right into the obd port 2 run the tests. no more treadmills or rev'g into a tailpipe tester. this just started in the last couple wks, saw it 1st hand.

-Ult

·
Registered
191 Posts
i've heard that it smooths out the engine....?? is this true.. also.. what exactly do you mean by not removing the sensor??? what exactly needs to be disconnected and what doesnt? i really dont want a cel...

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
EGR is exhaust gas recirulation. The switch can fail leading to jerky response, but just in general its only for emissions purposes as exhaust does not burn as well as clean air.

·
Registered
847 Posts
maybe a silly question, but is this a legal mod?

i.e. Is it a system Ford puts on the car simply to improve the #s or is it a legal requirement (like the cat. converter)?

·
Registered
847 Posts
thanks! I'm not sure what the requirements are up here...I don't believe we have a visual inspection, just emissions, but I could be wrong...I've never had to go for one yet.

If there is no visual (is it even visably obvious if it's been removed?), would the emissions change enough to result in a fail? I know our stock #s are well below the limits to begin with...

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here in Maryland, i already had my emissions test done, they just test the gas cap and put a probe in the tail pipe to test your exhaust gasses for 30 sec. at idle.

now i get to do it agian in 2 years.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
very nice, keep it up...and hit me up a instant mess. when u hit a dyno ok? thanx bro
-chris

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
chris, now we're prolly screwed, md just instituted their new test pluggin right into the obd port 2 run the tests. no more treadmills or rev'g into a tailpipe tester. this just started in the last couple wks, saw it 1st hand.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so

Harvey passes with the damn Kamikaze header on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts