Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have the stock exhaust on my car as I can't afford an aftermarket unit quite yet. How difficult would it be to remove the 2nd muffler (the resonator) from the stock exhaust? I only ask because I have a tip on my car that sticks out too far and I don't really like the resonator as it is (it keeps the car quiet...) Can I just go into any exhaust shop and have them cut it off and install a pipe there instead, or would I have problems with that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,176 Posts
Yes that can be done. I had that same setup for about six months. It actually sounds surprisingly good. I wouldn't pay more than $35-40 if you have a shop do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
works good,you will like it,by a short tip,4"long,also get it some where else,muffler shops will charge as much for the tip,as for the exhaust work,paid$45.00,for exhaust work..
 

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
Joined
·
30,267 Posts
You can indeed. I had it done, and disliked the sound so much, that I went and bought a $260 Magnaflow (shipped) shortly thereafter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Actually, the center chamber is the resonator, and the rear section is the muffler. The resultant exhaust note wasn't too bad, but it had a drone at 3000 rpm. I decided to replace the center chamber with a Magnaflow #14214, cutting both nipples to half length at a muffler shop. The inlet bend was cut off and replaced with a bent piece of new pipe swedged to the original inlet pipe. A new tailpipe was custom bent using the original hangers, and swedged to accept a 2.5 inch chromed slash cut tip. Total cost including welding was $142. Sound is now low and mellow, quite similar to a Lotus,or the old ATS four cylinder Ferrari designed engine cool:
 

·
Driver > Car
Joined
·
23,988 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OmniFocus:
You can indeed. I had it done, and disliked the sound so much, that I went and bought a $260 Magnaflow (shipped) shortly thereafter.
<hr></blockquote>
Where did you get that for $260?
Thanks...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluSEspt:
Sound is now low and mellow, quite similar to a Lotus,or the old ATS four cylinder Ferrari designed engine cool:
<hr></blockquote>

LOL, my friend has this setup and i'm selling him my stock exhuast on tuesday. Its loud and nasty sounding. No refinement at all, reminds me more of the 2.2L cavvy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
The 14214 should go in the center position and not in the rear. The tailpipe length gives it a little resonance which mellows out the sound. A short tailpipe does nothing to the sound quality to eliminate any nastiness produced. If it is used in the rear location, then a front resonator should be added, as in the catback style of system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,620 Posts
I was gonna say!!

the rear box is the resonator..because once its off the car you can see right through it!!

the first box is the muffler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluSEspt:
Actually, the center chamber is the resonator, and the rear section is the muffler. The resultant exhaust note wasn't too bad, but it had a drone at 3000 rpm. I decided to replace the center chamber with a Magnaflow #14214, cutting both nipples to half length at a muffler shop. The inlet bend was cut off and replaced with a bent piece of new pipe swedged to the original inlet pipe. A new tailpipe was custom bent using the original hangers, and swedged to accept a 2.5 inch chromed slash cut tip. Total cost including welding was $142. Sound is now low and mellow, quite similar to a Lotus,or the old ATS four cylinder Ferrari designed engine cool:
<hr></blockquote>

Exactly what is the difference between resonator and muffler? It's all about making the exhaust quiet, or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I did this and now it is very raspy almost sounds like a bad rattling sound in the muffler but there is nothing loose, there is a bit of power gain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
From what I understand the focus uses 2 resonators with no real muffler, although the service cd refers to both as mufflers. I have the res under the car removed, and I like it very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Originally posted by stealdesk:
I did this and now it is very raspy almost sounds like a bad rattling sound in the muffler but there is nothing loose, there is a bit of power gain.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Which one is removed? The resonator just before the rear axle or the resonator close to the tip?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Originally posted by David Anderson:
The resonator is CLOSEST to the hatch of the car.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks David, but I just want to know for sure which one stealdesk removed because he is complaining about the sound. (I want to remove the first resonator.)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top