Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove my right hand taillight to change a burned-out bulb, and it's not moving...Here's what I did (following the instructions I found through Search)

1) Removed Phillips screw
2) Removed thumb screw

Now, it says to just pull it out gently; well the assembly won't move! I know there's a hidden clip under there, but I don't know where it is so I don't know where to put the pulling pressure, and I've already broken enough hidden clips on this car

The top right of the assembly is really stuck on there. Should I pull it straight back towards the back of the car?

·
Registered
375 Posts
You wont break the hidden clip, it's metal. What's probably stuck is the rubber seal where the light meets up with the rear window. I had the same problem. Just pull hard enough and it should slowly come undone.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got it off; but there's I reason I couldn't do it:
The taillight assembly is glued to the body at the factory!

The contour of the taillight has a rubber lip that creates a seal to the body. Well, on my car that rubber seals is stuck between the body and the side window on all its length.

It looks like when they build the car, they install the taillights, then the side windows, trapping the taillight's rubber in the window sealing material.

So to remove the taillight completely I'll either have to pull the taillight hard enough to rip the rubber from the window sealer stuff (or from the assembly), or cut it with an X-Acto knife. I was able to pull off the taillight enough to squeeze my hand in the gap and change the bulb. But the assembly is a permanent fixture on my car!

I'll bring the subject up next time I'm at the dealership

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wont break the hidden clip, it's metal. What's probably stuck is the rubber seal where the light meets up with the rear window. I had the same problem. Just pull hard enough and it should slowly come undone.
Yeah, I figured it out (as you can see in my post above). I'll try it again tomorrow when there's light outside.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In the navy we call it "mechanical agitation". Basically just whack the inner side piece thats exposed when you open the hatch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

I was just gonna ask this exact same question.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heres a photo of the third connector.
It is a metal spike that pops in and
out of a white plastic plug.
To remove this last fastener just roll
the tail lamp out and away from the car.
you don't even need to cut or tear the
weather stripping to change bulbs.
Photo shows the driver side lens.

To reinstali the lens just line up all the holes and give this location a gentle bop to set it in place before reattaching the thumb screw and the one phillips head screw. while I've got this all apart I think I'll try to run up a quick how too for future newbies like myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts