Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install my new SVT honeycomb grille, and I've run into a slight problem. I can't seem to get the radiator air deflector off. The instructions I'm looking at say that it should have plastic phillips screws holding it down. I know that it used to, because I removed it once before. But since then, my car was in an accident and that entire area was replaced.

Now I don't have phillips screws holding it down. Or flathead, or torx for that matter! What I have are blank, rounded plugs. I can tell that they're threaded, so they seem to be screws with totally blank heads. I'm fairly sure that I could remove them, but I'd have to tear them apart to do it. Is there some trick I'm missing to unbolting these things?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Those are push pins. They have no thread. Basiclly you need to use something to pry under them and pull up. A screwdriver works ok sometimes. The easiest is if you pull from 2 sides at once. There is a tool available to remove them, but just go to a parts store and pick up a couple more if they do break on you.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think they were pushpins. I can see the threading on them through holes in the deflector, and they don't come up when I try to pry on them, they only bend and deform.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I didn't think they were pushpins. I can see the threading on them through holes in the deflector, and they don't come up when I try to pry on them, they only bend and deform.
They're not threaded, they're ribbed like those nails that look like screws. You use a special fork-looking tool to get them out, sometimes an interior trim remover will work. You can get them at any parts store. The cheapo ones look like this:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yep, that's the proper tool. If you take them out, go to your local Ford dealership and pick up the phillip's head push-ins, my dealership gives me parts like that for free all the time. If you're going to continuously be removing that part, it's a lot easier to have the original screw tops...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
yeah, the phillps screws you saw before are the ones that have the screw that expands the plug on the other side of the hole to fit it. but the plug just has the ribs, i use a needle nose pliers to take them off, most of the time i can reuse them.

btw you are lucky, at least you still have the deflector. my front end was put back together (by ford) and the lower deflector isn't there anymore (this happened before i really knew my car) and one of the side deflectors is the part for the opposite side...at some point i wil have to go complain to ford, or at least get the part, this was repaired like 2 years ago...

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you got a Lowes hardware near you, they have little parts bins that include all kinds of auto fasteners, including a multitude of those ribbed and expanding push "pins"

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
you take them out with a drill and finish them off with a torch.

I hate those things.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up taking them off with wire cutters, and replacing them with zip-ties. I figure at least zip-ties will be easier to cut off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts