Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this falls under the Interior Modification forum...

Previous owner tinted the entire front windshield of the Focus. While it isn't too bad during the day, my visibility at night is somewhat lacking. PLUS it is illegal and I really don't need the expense of a fix-it ticket.

What methods are best for removing tint without damaging the glass or the black stuff around the outside edge?

Also, what is the best method for removing the ting in the black dotted area around the edges? I removed some tint on my old 240 with a similar black pattern around the edge of the rear quarter glass. For the life of me I could not get the tint off this area without screwing up the black portion or leaving the tint on the edge (either way looked horrid). Any ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a homemade method, but I know a lot of auto places sell tint remover spray. It's really easy to use.. Just spray it on.. wait.. and peel it off. It should get most of the glue off (hopefully).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of the stuff...then again never had a need for it. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it should be available at places like PepBoys or AutoZone?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a local shop in my town charges 30 bucks for all windows
have you checked around?
Haven't really check around just yet. The last time I had tint removed, the shop literally had my car the entire day just to strip the rear window.

Unfortunately it may come down to doing that again. Haven't been able to find this tint remover stuff and I don't want to resort to the windex & razor method as there is too much of a chance I'd permanently screw up the windshield.

Thanks for reminding me though. I just about completely forgot any tint shop could get this done for me.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
tint shop will use a steamer to get it off. you can go to an auto parts shop and get the removal spray, but getting it off around the dot matrix can be a PITA. i'd say get the shop to do it.

Mike

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...try here.../www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html
worked for me....
Excellent info!

·
Registered
76 Posts
try spraying down your back window with soapy water, and then tape a plastic bag to the back window and park it in the sun for about 30-45 mins, and then you should be able to peal off the tint in the back. you can try it, that is what my tinter did to mine and pealed right off.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Did your tinter put the bag on the inside or outside?

I'm a little confused with all of this "spray the rear window" stuff. Doesn't the spray/liquid just run right off the window after you spray it? How do you keep the spray distributed evenly on the window if it has a natural tendency to roll down with gravity?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Forget the spray, IMO. All it did was made a mess for me. Just catch the edge with a razorblade so you can grab a hold and pull slowly and evenly. Either way you will still need to remove the glue with the blade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts