Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple days i have noticed alot white to tan colored smoke coming from my exhaust. Along with that i seem to have much more tourque as of latelly, given it has been slightly cooler. But it has been this cold before, and it seems much more jumpy. Plus at low rpm's it seems to go out. I have been told the problem is a bad cat. So do you think that is the problem? If i got to replace the cat anyway i was thinking on going to a high flow with a race header, i look down the road to turbo my car, so want it compatiable with all turbos. I have AEM CAI and Borla exhaust. What should i do the Focus Sprot of Focus-Central, or any other type of header? And with what type of hi-flow would be best. I remember that SCC had the focussport race header with a focussport bolt on cat, do they sell this yet?

Thank you
James

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think it might be something bad-water in the exhaust. My understanding of the cat is that if it goes bad (plugged up for one reason or another) you will lose power due to increased backpressue. Plus, if the cat wasn't working, I think your CEL would come on. How many miles on your car? How's the coolant level holding up? has it overheated recently? I know this might sound weird, but what does the funky exhaust smell like? you can get a clue that way sometimes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coolant in the resivour has not changed in the last 2 weeks, but you are right a weird smell does come from the exaust. Why is that something even worse?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 16,000 miles on my car, and the temp gauge has never gone over the medium range(straight up) no strang overheating noticed. Is it burning anti-freeze?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the mutiple posts, but i keep thinking of more to discribe it. Plus yesterday i was with friends and showed them this, about 5 min after i have haad my car on one of my friends decided to show me what it looks like, they reved it up to about 5k and alot of water sprayed out, If it is bad water what do i do. If it is or is no a bad cat i still look to replace it and the header. What race header and high flow cat should i use? Pease help me with my other problem though.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
sulfur or "rotten egg" smell is a good indication that it is probably you're cat.

Nate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts