Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replacing head bolts

i was told by one of the local Italian mechanics that I couold replace the head bolts without removing the head as long as used the proper torque sequence. I have never heard this before. Is he just being lazy or can this be done. For those of you who dont know I replaced my head and reused the stock TTY bolts. I am going to use the ARP's that I got with the head and hope that the small leak that I have goes away. My thinking is that since the integrity of the head gasket has already been compromised that it would be useless not to change it. I will be doing the R&R myself I was just chatting with him while I was getting my wifes car inspected. Thanks

[ 12-31-2002, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: quicksilver ]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: replacing head bolts

your changing your head gasket?

just messin, i know what you mean. any focus i have seen with any exhaust work has a leak. all the gaskets are crap. i have fixed 3 now and i still have one. good luck

·
Registered
349 Posts

You HAVE TO replace the head gasket if you loosen the head bolts, some cars you have to replace the head bolts also, not sure if the focus is one of those. I would suggest a fel-pro gasket and the proper torque specs and sequence.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So if I replace them in the proper sequence and dont break the seal i should be ok. What about if it is leaking a little? I still need to replace it right? I think that the arps's are going to require the head to be off to install anyway. thanks

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts

I would personally take the head off and do it 100%. If you already have a small leak, replacing the bolts may not help too much. Just picture yourself after replacing just the bolts and then starting it up and still having a leak. "Shoot, I should have replaced the head gasket too". I have tried to cut corners to save a little time and 9 times out of 10 it bites me in the ass.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

airforce,
I am going to do it right. I cant have my car down for too long. It shouldnt take me but 8 hours or so to do the head. I hate getting bit in the ass too.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts

Yeah, I swapped the head and cams completely within 8 hours and that was with surfin' the jet, lunch, taking pictures, beer run, and an hour long parts run. Pretty easy just for the gasket. One day no prob.

·
Registered
412 Posts

on the focus you can torque the head bolts twice, meaning if you take the head off and put it back on its ok, but if you take it off again you will need new head bolts. i had to do this when i put the gude head on.

mike

·
Registered
251 Posts

No, you only have to replace the head gasket if you brake the seal, you could change the head bolts and still use the head gasket, now if the head comes off, yes you must replace it.

Now head bolts are differant they do not streatch untill 10,000 miles so untill that milage you can reuse them

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I replaced the bolts this weekend. I let it idle for about 3 minutes and everything seemed ok. I went to the store and took it easy for the first few miles then I got onit a little and the temp gauge shot way up and the exclamation point gauge came on. I cut off the car and checked the coolant and everything seemed ok. It wasnt boilg hot or anything. I then waited about 2 minutes and drove back to the house. Close to home I got on it again and the same thing happened. I decide to take it somewhere and get them to look at it. On the way there it did the same thig but under crusing at 65mph. I stoped and waited for about 1 minute and temp gauge wnet back down and everythign seemed ok. I went about 5 more miles and the same thing happened. I waited about 1 min. and went on and finally made it to the shop. He will look at in today and see what the problem is. Doea nyone have an idea at what it might be? Bad sensor maybe? thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

yea a warped head would def cause that problem..check it out man...but the coolant should be gettin up in temp with a warped or cracked head..weird

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

Did you check it for being air locked in the cooling system

This is very easy to do on the zetec

The water temp sensor does not go into water on the zetec so it does not need water in the head to get a reading

tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If the head is warped I dodnt know how it happened. It is a brand new FC stage 2. I will be SOL if that happens.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

Phordman the headbolts stretch in the zetec AS SOON as you TQ the down

They ALLWAYS should be replaced when removed

tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I was trying a few things last night nad I noticed that when it adles it doesnt overheat but when there is a load on the engine it overheats badly. I replaced the thermostat but that didnt help. I guess I will have to take the head off again and get it checked out. WHAt fun!! I could be a pro at this by now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I pulled the head off th ehad again today. It only took me abotu 1.5 hours. I was planning on taking it to the shop to get it checked out. I took off the intake and looked in the #1,2 intake ports and it was really dirty in there and there was coolant on top of the valves. The other 2 ports were very clean. What could cause this? bad seal on the gasket maybe? I am stumped. Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Coolant in the ports? What did the gasket look like? Did the car smoke when it was running? (at any time). White smoke? Three things come to mind. Bad gasket. Warped head. Cracked head. Did this problem start from the first time you installed the FC head? Ported into the waterjacket? I wish you the best. Hard to help so far away.

BTW, Torque to Yield bolts are just that. They are stretched past their max on elasticity therefore they "yield". The bolt will not "spring back" to it's original length. All bolts stretch. This is what gives them the clamping properties. This why TTY bolts NEED to be replaced. I know some people have reused TTY bolts. But they are only asking for trouble.

[ 01-15-2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: fruitport_focus ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The gasket looked ok. Yea it has smoked from the begining since I installed the FC head. I thought that it might have been due to the reusing the tty bolts. I had thought about that but I didnt think FC could mess up something like that. I am sending it to a machince shop today to check for warpage and such. If i find out that it is I am going to contact FC and see what they have to say. Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts