Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i were to replace my instrument cluster (from junkyard) how do i set the odometer to the correct mileage? is it plug and play (and self learning) or require ford dealership to set it up with special tools? if so, is it expensive? thanks

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I will be doing this soon. I know there are legal issues when replacing clusters w/ incorrect mileage, but isn't there something about writing the correct mileage on the door jamb or something like that?

My case is a bit different-- I'm putting in a gauge w/ more miles than I've got, and I don't want to wait until I hit that mileage mark before putting the cluster in...

Anyone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The mileage is stored in the PCM. It's just plug and play. Only the SVT's store the mileage in the cluster itself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The mileage is stored in the PCM. It's just plug and play. Only the SVT's store the mileage in the cluster itself.
In all clusters the mileage is stored in the cluster. It may be stored in the PCM too, but it will not override the mileage in the cluster. It will have to be programed somewhere. I got mine from the dealer and it came pre programed out of a place in California. I think.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I just called a local dealer and they'll charge me $62.00 for a reprogram.

Pretty good considering I got the cluster itself for only $25.00!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this has been quite a while, but where did you take it and what did they call what they did for you? I was just told by my local Ford dealer that they cannot (will not) program mileage into digital odometers unless they are new and they provide them ($325 hardware and $350 labor). They also claim that the PATS keys will need to be reprogrammed too and that I need 2 keys to do it.

I just called a local dealer and they'll charge me $62.00 for a reprogram.

Pretty good considering I got the cluster itself for only $25.00!!

·
small Member
6,604 Posts
i swapped my cluster, and everything worked fine. no pats reprogramming or anything. i had around 60k on my original cluster. and swapped in one that has 64000. idc that it reads 4k over, but it works perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts