Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about people Resetting their ECU's by unplugging the battery. I have put intake and HKS exhaust on my car, and neevr reset the battery, would it pay off? If so , how long do i let the batter ysit unplugged for? Another thing...I have a "Ebay intake", (but it has a K&N filter), and i had the throttle body too far bak, so i moved it directly behind the filter...since i changed the MAF location, would it be wise to reset my ECU?
Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
yes it will be nice to reset it. just talk of the + wire for 15 min. then put it back on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
DO NOT unplug the Positive lead of the battery. Unplug the Negative lead for 5 minutes. That's it, very simple. Some OBDII scanners will also do a PCM reset.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is the big deal with the positive or negative terminal of the the battary. It doesn't matter you are still breaking the connection no matter what.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i would think that the positive cable would be more likely to spark when removing or reattaching, at least without discharging the battery first. the positive cable does the job just as well without risking damage to the electronics.

Nate

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nate is right, which is why you always disconnect the negative wire first. If you leave it on and disconnect the positive and it happens to make contact with anything, zap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts