Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this thread may be short-lived on the forum, but I ABSOLUTELY MUST post this and briefly relive one of the best parts of my childhood. For those that don`t know, Resident Evil, or Biohazard as it was known in Japan, was the first horror-survival game released for Playstation 1 in 1996. It was also one of the first games I played competitively. Not online versus droves of foul-mouthed delinquents, but against my cousin`s friend who could have been a professional gamer if the option existed at the time. Bragging rights went to whoever could finish it first and in the shortest time.

The story is simple, members of the S.T.A.R.S. task force are trapped inside a mansion filled with genetic beasts and they must solve puzzles and battle their way to safety. It was the first time I ever honestly felt scared to play a game and, of course, we always played in my grandma's basement with the lights out and the curtains pulled.

Here's a little taste of the HD remake recently released on XBL:

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm still in the process of downloading the game so I haven't heard any of the dialogue yet, but I really hope it's as ridiculous as the original. As you`ll see in the video below, some of the dialogue didn't translate over to English very well. The bad voice acting coupled with the bad translations were all part of the appeal.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is a run-through of the original using Jill Valentine. You will probably wonder how anyone could be scared of a game where every light is on. It was 1996, okay.

The slowly opening door transition between rooms allowed you to either catch your breath or hold your breath since you never knew what you would come across. The scene at the 5:00 minute mark was also deemed one of the scariest in gaming history. If you don`t know about the hallway windows, just watch...

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the things I've (re)learned from (re)playing RE-HD:

1. Hunting knife vs. zombie = zombie wins every time
2. If you put something in a box it will also be in a completely different box on the other side of the mansion
3. Zombie dogs don't want to play fetch
4. A little bit of herb heals anything
5. Jill jiggles more than she used to

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I've apparently made a dire mistake having only played the original game from 1996. I couldn't for the life of me think of what to use a refillable kerosene container for so I was running around with it full thinking I was going to be fueling a generator or something. Turns out you have to burn any undead (we're not using the "zed" word) or they'll come back as Crimson Heads, which can run and have huge claws.

I, in my infinite wisdom, ravaged every creature I came across and didn't look back. Bad idea. Good news is that I've been hoarding everything in my magic box including grenade rounds and healing spray. Oi, I need a break.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got to the part where they released the Hunters...and proceeded to immediately mess one up with a grenade launcher. ACHIEVEMENT!

Anyhow, these things have become increasingly annoying. I'm running low of effective ammo and it's possible for them to kill you in ONE STRIKE. Killed the huge snake named Yawn for the final time. I think I only have a few more puzzles to solve and I should be able to access the lab in the basement. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Glad you're enjoying this game as much as I did back in the day.
Hell, maybe I'll bust out the ol' Gamecube and run through it again.
And then play through Res Evil 4, the greatest survival horror game of all time.
Not the scariest mind you, Fatal Frame 2 still gives me the heebie jeebies. >shudder<

1 - 12 of 12 Posts