Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that the superchip was doing nothing for my car with a computer code of LFQ0, si I plan on ordering a K&N FIPK for $200 from focus performance, to compliment the FC TB that I already have. Do you guys think this is a good decision. I honestly don't think that the chips do much of anything, except make you buy high octane gas. Let me know what you think, I would like to see a product from Hypertech though, I think their units do something.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Wonder if the OEM header could be holding you up? Anyway I have a Superchip for ZYF5 (no longer installed since I added a turbo), but I thought it was an excellent addition with my mods at the time - aem shorty, borla, JBA, flywheel.

I'd like to hear what you think of the K&N system as opposed to their filter in the OEM box.

[ 11-03-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I LOVE my k&n FIPK. I've adapted it to accomodate the SVT Snorkel w/ the help of a Dremel and a speaker port, but that was just my own fiddling for a little more cool-air.
I have no experience w/ the Superchip, but I'm thrilled w/ my Diablo. (Aside from Gas-Prices...
)
I'd recommend the FIPK to anyone looking for an Intake.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
When I put in my Superchip, for JFA8, two years ago, I really felt the difference immediately. That was my first of many mods. It may be that with the other mods you have that the superchip isn't "noticed"-that it's effect is drowned out. The only other thing to think about is if all the contacts were not thoroughly cleaned then the Superchip won't work. I'm sure you did clean the contacts but it's sometimes the little things that can trip you up. I'm ordered my MIC setup from Tom-can't wait!

2000 ZX3 JRSC, FC 65MM TB, 70 MM MAFS, JBA, Random Tech Cat, modified Volant, MBRP cat back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the FIPK and love the way it pulls in the higher RPMs. The sound brings a tear to my eye. I also have the diablo for ZYF5 and noticed a big diffence with it installed.

MichaelXi, do you have pics anywhere of your mods with the port and a write up?

·
Registered
745 Posts
i have the fipk and have spent some time on a couple web sites promoting it since it doesn't get the credit it deserves...it is honestly one of the best intakes out there...i have the diablo and it made a nice difference...make sure you installed it correctly...thats my only guess

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I also have the same ECU code and have a problem with the CEL light coming on all the time. I was unimpressed with the performance it gave the car. I was thankfull that the speedlimiter was gone. Performance was way down from my table top chip that Indy and I have been messing around with. I am going to return the chip to the seller and they are going to asses the problem from their end. Hope the next one is better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same chip as you and I wouldn't remove it. It's removed the speed limiter and raised the rev. limiter. Both of those are well worth the price. Admittedly the 0-60 times have barely been improved, but the chip will be necessary if you want to really push the engine. Someone I know and trust (a engineer here at Ford who drag races a Focus) dynoed the various chips and has the dyno charts. Superchips, he feels is the best. And it's the one I use on a road course track. I would have kept the chip and added a CAI.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the thing with my setup I don't need to rev past 6300rpm's becuase I start loosing power and the fact that taking the chip to the track yielded me no change from going to the track without a chip, so I came to the conclusion that is was worthless on my car. If it can't deliver on the track or on a dyno then then it isn't worth the money would rather go with a K&N FIPK, I am sure it gives results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sooner or later you'll get cam gears and have them dialed in. Then you'll want that chip back.
Seriously, when you do go back and get a chip, get the superchip. It's currently the best for your code. It also gets rid of "tip in timing" along with the rest and actually nets you 1 or 2 horses. Although those little hp gains are not what you want the chip for. The more you add to the engine, the more a chip will do for you, till you hit 150-160 fwhp. Then you'll need fueling, a custom chip, MAS.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Ford:

MichaelXi, do you have pics anywhere of your mods with the port and a write up?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's something I really need to do. I'll try to get together w/ a friend w/ a digi-cam in the next couple weeks....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does this intake work with a focussport strut brace, need to know before I order one.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by ASUFocusZX3:
does this intake work with a focussport strut brace, need to know before I order one.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think, but I'm not sure.
No Strut braces on a Focus for me....No need for them.

[ 11-06-2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Good work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts