Ford Focus Forum banner

rev limiter/fuel cut off

577 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jbmeth007 
#1 ·
does anyone know for sure what they are set at and where in the system they are? my buddy has a ranger and had a rev limiter but as soon as he changed his exhaust it didnt kick in anymore. but anyway the reason for asking i was drivn down the road the other day and i was passed by a honda i went to downshift to pick up speed quicker and i accidentally went from 5th to second yeah...waaaaaaa....is it possible for this to mess anything up ive never had a 5spd until now just curious....thanks for any input.

#2 ·
the stock speed limiter is 108mph and i am not sure but i believe the stock rev limiter is 6500rpm...these are programed into the ECU the only way to bypass is to get a chip...i don't know much about rangers but i am gonna call BS and say he musta got a chip...

#3 ·
The rev limiter will not protect the engine from over revving when down sfting to the wrong gear. When you let the clutch out in the senareo stated above, the engine had to keep up with the tires. If you were going 50mph when this happened, not a big deal. If you were going 70mph then the engine did over rev. Since it survived your probably OK. Don't know about long term damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.