Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is kind of lame, but I am a newbie, and only have 2000 miles on my '03 ZX3.

First off, is there a rev limiter on my car, and if so, what is the top speed? It is a manual transmission, and I haven't tried pushing it to the limit yet.

Also, how many HP is the stock '03 ZX3?

Yeah, I am a newb...

-=J=-

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
rev limiter is 7200 rpms. speed governor halts you at 108 mph. base HP is about 130.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
The Rev. limiter is 6750 on the normal Zetec and 7200 on the SVT Zetec.

- Drew

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
the diablochip bumps up the rev limiter to 7100, what does it raise the governor to?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
It takes out the gov. completely.

- Drew

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
It takes out the gov. completely.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does not.
The speed limiter on most "standard" performance tunes is raised by 30mph over the stock setting. It is not "removed" completely. On some EEC code, the speed limiter is not changed at all, usually the automatics.

You guys with 2003 vehicles, there are some EEC codes that neither Superchips or Diablosport have downloads for yet, which means you may not be able to get a chip burned.

If you know your EEC code, I would be happy to check the dealer download areas to confirm if either company has a burn for your code.

If you don't know your code, or how to find it, check out this How-To Article:
http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/pcm.htm

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by David Anderson:
shiva...I had my zx3 with the same code as you at 130ish, car wouldnt pull anymore, but the speed limiter sure didnt kick in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It must be the szr series then. They gave me the xau0 for it and I still have my speedlimiter and diablo doesn't intend on fixing that yet.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie Herrington:

Also, how many HP is the stock '03 ZX3?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">base hp usually ranges anywhere from 103-112 at the wheels on a stock zetec motor. this varies so much because of the stock cam settings so if you get cam gears you can usually get a pretty good gain with them right off the bat.
oh, welcome to the jet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hehe, my car pulls to 130 until i let go of the gas, but she showed nt a single sign of slowing down, oh yeh, @ 10 psi

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wait and get a custom chip. Superchip sucks and I don't know much about diablo

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Ray,

That is news to me. I mean I guess there isn't much to go on.

Most NA guys with a Diablo or Superchip don't get up to 140-145.

And most guys with a Turbo/SC have a custom tuned chip.

So your info may be right - But there isn't much concrete evidence to prove either.

Plus, qwho the hell needs to go faster than 140!?!?

- Drew

·
Registered
993 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
The Rev. limiter is 6750 on the normal Zetec and 7200 on the SVT Zetec.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Revlimiter or redline? I think the redline on my girlfriends ZTS is 6750, not sure of revlimiter. On my SVT, the redline is 7200, and Mr. Revlimiter is at 7250. I met Mr. Revlimiter several times after the break-in.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Funny, my Focus (2001 ZX3) has *no redline*, but it does have a revlimiter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmm...My ZX3 (5 speed) definately goes past 6750...it indeed hits the 7000 mark , no use to bring it that high though

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Nope - 6750 is not redline.

It is the RevLimit set into the ECU.

If yours reads any higher, it is most likely a gauge error.

- Drew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts