Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a track-day buddy/instructor has convinced me to focus (sorry for the pun) on my driving skills and stay with my (basically) stock NA SVT. With that in mind, the only change I'm anticipating then will be into dedicated track-day pads. I figure I can handle swapping the front pads (with some learning involved), but want to leave the rear pads as is (with whatever I settle on as a multpurpose pads) for track and street.

At present, I'm planning to get the CARBOTECH PANTHER XP8 (1108) pads for my track day front rotors and sticking with the stock SVT rear pads. No change planned for rotors -- just the stock solid ones.

Questions here: Is that front/rear setup going to work? Should I change to ceramic rears of some kind as well? I'm thinking XP8s are way overkill for the rear -- plus I know I will not be doing track-day swaps of the rears.

Already running Motul RBF 600 with Goodridge SS-sheathed hoses. I'm getting *no* fade to speak of yet over the course of a track day, but the initial bite is not confidence-inspiring so I tend to lift earlier than I'd like...I'm wanting to work on braking later with more initial force (into ABS), and then ease to trail braking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
XP8's would be my suggestion. You will also want to pick up a dedicated set of rotors for best performance. I usually swap pads before going to the track is it is on less thing to do on Friday night/Saturday morning. They are drivable on the street, the first stop tends to be a bit hairy, but after that they are good.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XP8's would be my suggestion. You will also want to pick up a dedicated set of rotors for best performance. I usually swap pads before going to the track is it is on less thing to do on Friday night/Saturday morning. They are drivable on the street, the first stop tends to be a bit hairy, but after that they are good.
So you're suggesting XP8s all the way around? Would those be OK to leave on the rears all the time? I just am not excited about swapping the rear pads. Fronts are within the realm of the possible. Rears: Bleh.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Sorry, rears are just along for the ride, I wouldn't bother with them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, rears are just along for the ride, I wouldn't bother with them.
Ok. Thanks. I might put on some Carbotech Panther Plus pads or Bobcats on the rear.

BTW: Do you know what the temperature range is on the stock SVT pads? I can't seem to find any data on that and the SVT guys were done for the day by the time I thought to call.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been running Carbotech Plus on the rears, per Carbotech's recommendation, and as far as the compound they have been fine. Fitment has been a bit fishy in that depending which pad I put on the inside/outside or driver/passenger side they will rub on the rotor (and as far as I know rear pads are not inside/outside specific).
I have been using XP8s in the front and they have held up very well.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have xp9 front, svt rear and it's pretty good. Went for a ride with Kevin who has xp8's all around and it was much better.

I've never had an issue with cold braking, so I leave 'em on all summer.

Next year I'll probably do an xp9 or 10 up front with 8's in the back.
Do you think that it's possible you do not have cold braking issues because of the SVT pads in the rear?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have xp9 front, svt rear and it's pretty good. Went for a ride with Kevin who has xp8's all around and it was much better.

I've never had an issue with cold braking, so I leave 'em on all summer.

Next year I'll probably do an xp9 or 10 up front with 8's in the back.
Do you think that it's possible you do not have cold braking issues because of the SVT pads in the rear?
I ran the XP9's on the front for a few weeks after a track day...with rear drums on my ZX3 which have literally zero stopping power. The XP9's bite pretty damn well cold for supposedly not having any cold braking ability. I'd go as far as to say there's only a minor difference between the Mintex A/F's cold and the XP9's cold(in the summer of course) If it wasn't for the fact that I'd be wasting a $150+ set of brake pads on the street, I'd feel comfortable running them all summer as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was planning on swapping from the XP8s (on all corners) to the BAT special Mintex bits when I got home from a track day in May. Never did the swap so I've been running the XP8s daily for a few months now. Haven't had cold braking issues, even in any "hey, why's that dip[censored] in the pickup trying to take out my front fender?!" moments. Granted it's been fairly warm recently, I'm going to definately make the swap before winter.

As for wear, the pads are still thick (carbotech lays them up heavy anyway) and the rotors don't seem to be wearing any faster. Noise and dust?
That's another story...sounds like a freightliner pulling to a stop and I now have trendy, flat black wheels.

YMMV, of course

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I was planning on swapping from the XP8s (on all corners) to the BAT special Mintex bits when I got home from a track day in May. Never did the swap so I've been running the XP8s daily for a few months now. Haven't had cold braking issues, even in any "hey, why's that dip[censored] in the pickup trying to take out my front fender?!" moments.
I did this same thing after last year's Fall Fling.
The braking was GREAT, but...
I was sadly disappointed to find that the XP-8's had gone to Hell after only that weekend and about 3-5K road miles.
After MY experience, if I did it again, I'd try the XP-9's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts