Ford Focus Forum banner

reworked stock dampers

373 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  alexinRO 
#1 ·
has anyone tryed to cut and retap the stck struts/shocks?? just a thought.

#5 ·
To shorten them? Hmm... might be better than not shortening them with just a spring upgrade?

#8 ·
This doesn't make any sense! There is no "comfort zone" for these shocks, they will provide the same amount of damping no matter where they start in the travel. I don't see how it could change the wear, other then maybe making it worse due to a smaller sideload moment on the piston.

If you shorten the shock rod, all you will be doing is deleting rebound travel, you won't gain anything. If you shorten the shock can, then you will overtravel the shock and smash the piston into the bottom of the tube.

#9 ·
i was thinking that even if you shorten the dampers, they are still not suited to dampen the higher spring rate of an aftermarket spring.

doesn't seem to work out in my head but im probably wrong

#11 ·
They would still be bottoming out at exactly the same time. What "bottoms" is the strut can and the top mount, it has nothing to do with the rod. If you really wanted to make it bottom less, you'd end up with the wheel going through your fender. In a corner you'd get so much positive camber that you wouldn't be able to keep the car on the road! If there was anyway to get more travel before bottoming, Ford would have done it already!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.