·
Registered
5,447 Posts
that would just tear them up even more.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
Jason, what the heck do you mean?

If you did shorten them, they would be compressed in a manner more like with the stock springs. Wouldn't they?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
To shorten them? Hmm... might be better than not shortening them with just a spring upgrade?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what im thinking. they wont be valved for the new spr4ings but they will be shorter givin them more accruate travel. just a thought.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Makes sense to me if you don't have the cash to upgrade dampers right now. It 'should' make them last longer due to the fact they will be in their 'comfort zone'.

They will not be valved for a stiffer spring but they wont be bottomed out sitting at ride hieght either.

This is all completely hypathetical but it sounds good tto me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This doesn't make any sense! There is no "comfort zone" for these shocks, they will provide the same amount of damping no matter where they start in the travel. I don't see how it could change the wear, other then maybe making it worse due to a smaller sideload moment on the piston.

If you shorten the shock rod, all you will be doing is deleting rebound travel, you won't gain anything. If you shorten the shock can, then you will overtravel the shock and smash the piston into the bottom of the tube.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
i was thinking that even if you shorten the dampers, they are still not suited to dampen the higher spring rate of an aftermarket spring.

doesn't seem to work out in my head but im probably wrong

·
Registered
341 Posts
They would still be bottoming out at exactly the same time. What "bottoms" is the strut can and the top mount, it has nothing to do with the rod. If you really wanted to make it bottom less, you'd end up with the wheel going through your fender. In a corner you'd get so much positive camber that you wouldn't be able to keep the car on the road! If there was anyway to get more travel before bottoming, Ford would have done it already!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts