Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this game (with guitar) yesterday for Xbox 360 as an early Christmas gift to myself. Here is a review of the game from GameSpot:

I plan to use this thread to track my progress as an "axe man". I'll try to gauge my progress using the in-game rating system along with giving my opinion on how the game does as a teacher.

Each post will be about a week worth of playing up to the claimed "60 Days to Play" they advertised. I plan to continually update each post for a week, so check back frequently.

Keep in mind that I am starting from square one having never played any real instruments (Guitar Hero excluded). Feel free to post any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

If you want to read up on the improvements over the original version, check out the website here.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
WEEK #1:
Menus are very easy to navigate using the controller. The game has many cool options to run through from the "music store" to Session Mode, which lets you rock out with a virtual band. Being a noob, I am heading straight for Lessons.

There are a bunch of really awesome songs I want to be able to play, but none more than "My Own Summer" by the Deftones. This is turning out to be much more complicated than Guitar Hero. The only real similarity is the "notes highway". I guess you could say it's like playing GH if the controller had 6 strummers with 22 buttons each. Yikes!

I know it looks a little weird, but this image is actually showing you which strings to hold and on which fret to play a chord.

Shifting lesson didn't go too well. Only got 21%. The computer does a good job with being patient and doesn't mock you if you suck. It keeps slowing things down and doing them over until you get it right. Then it speeds back up and/or adds notes. So far I'm in over my head.

One other cool thing is that it has the words to each song highlighted as you sing them like a karaoke machine.

---------------

Got 100% on the Shifting lesson on the second go around. The computer teacher didn't even have to slow down the track this time. Still need to work at it though because my fingers keep landing on the frets instead of behind them. Finding frets was a lot easier in GH because there were only five instead of 22. I got a feeling this is going to be a series of small victories until I can finally play something.

---------------

Decided to challenge myself and practice "My Own Summer" one little section at a time Guitar Hero-style. I was kicking some rock ass when I paused the game only to find out I've been playing 37% of the notes using just 2 strings. This option along with speed control should allow you to practice fairly complicated pieces without too much difficulty. Just a warning: 50% tempo is PAINFULLY slow when you are playing less than half the notes.

Still feeling confident, I bumped the difficulty one level to 43% out of curiosity. It took me from basic notes to slides and chords. Looks like I need more practice!

I have to reiterate that this is NOT Guitar Hero or Rockband. What I am playing is starting to sound like the song, but I can't come anywhere near the 100% mark on anything (even on the "easy" songs from GH like "Heart-Shaped Box").

---------------

After a couple of days playing for an hour or two at a time, the computer has bumped me up to 50% difficulty for the easier songs. Just like in GH I'm not liking (or growing tired of) the beginner songs like "Blitzkrieg Bop". What I'm finding increasingly difficult is watching the screen WHILE looking at the guitar frets AND the strings.

Gonna look like this soon:

---------------

There are several minigames in the "Guitarcade". They are mildly entertaining, but let you practice crucial skills like muting, sliding, and skipping strings (these are the easy ones). I will likely spend the next bit of practice time playing these until I can find the strings and slide from fret to fret without looking.

---------------

I've been messing around with a couple songs at 100% difficulty but only 20-25% tempo. I've picked up some "cheats" regarding holding notes and moving your fret hand as little as possible (economy of motion).

I don't think it's too bad considering I've been playing guitar for a grand total of 5 days and I'm not looking at the notes on the TV. Can you tell which song it is?

---------------

After a week of playing, I'm feeling pretty good about the process. I've continued working on the "body" of "Heart-Shaped Box" and can hit most of the notes on 100% difficulty set at 50% tempo. The chorus is another story as it includes a smear of chords, slides, and some serious fret movement. I'll keep working on it.

So things don't get stale, I've also begun work on the opening of "Paint It Black". This is another favorite of mine and I can almost play the opening riff. Three-note hammer-ons are pretty tough, though.

I've gotten 100% completion on most of the 101 Lessons, but don't plan to move on until I have mastered all of them. I am, without doubt, becoming more comfortable with the guitar in my hands.

Things are looking up at the moment and I am happy with my purchase, so stay tuned for my next post. Again, post any questions you might have and I will take a shot at answering them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Literally just saw this commercial and was interested. I've tried to learn in thr past with little success

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
I grabbed a copy for the 360 from Amazon last week for $42.99 with the cable. :D Never played a guitar and don't own one yet. Conveniently I have a Guitar Center about 5 minutes away and will be visiting them sometime in the next couple weeks to try to find a deal on one.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
LOL, bitchin Camaro.

I've been playing for a LONG time, but this intrigues me since there are about a billion songs that I'd like to play that I cannot figure out on my own. And now all the good vids on YouTube are partial and the full vids are pay to play this is looking good.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...there are about a billion songs that I'd like to play that I cannot figure out on my own...
There are a lot of really good tunes to play and I'm pretty sure most of the songs from Rocksmith 2011 transfer over. The DLC, which is supposed to come out weekly, has some good stuff from Disturbed, Alice in Chains, and CCR. It is, however, missing music from several of the best guitarists ever: no Eric Clapton, no Jimi Hendrix, no Slash. But to be fair, they do include a good mix of old and new.

I've read that the hardest part for people who have never played the likes of Guitar Hero or Rockband is learning the notes highway. It apparently throws people off because of how different it is from reading tabs. I have found it quite easy so far and will likely struggle when learning to read tablature.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I loved the original. And I actually learned to play using tabs. Personally I find tabs easier to read, but the notes highway is a better way to learn. If that makes sense. The notes highway can be a little overwhelming at times. But each has it's pros and cons. What I'm interested in is what the difference is between the new one and the old one. I will probably be buying it in the near future to find out. Not too sure what could change other than adding songs, and in that case why not just do dlc?

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What I'm interested in is what the difference is between the new one and the old one. I will probably be buying it in the near future to find out. Not too sure what could change other than adding songs, and in that case why not just do dlc?
Please chime in when you find out. What I've read is that the game is more of a "do over" than a sequel. They supposedly improved upon everything. The "big deal" in the reviews is the Riff Repeater, which allows you to pick different pieces of the song and play them repeatedly. You can change speeds and even adjust what the computer counts as a mistake.

Much of the DLC says that it is from the original Rocksmith, plus they've added a lot of great songs. Please let us know what else you find different. Maybe more people will be tempted to buy the 2014 version.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For me, they cost 240 MS points ($3?) each, but I never owned the original. That would be something else to check out. It would be pretty sweet if they were available for free if you already owned them. The website only says they are backwards-compatible, but doesn't make it clear if you get the songs automatically.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
WEEK #2:
As weird as it sounds, I almost wish the game had a tablature feature so I could read the notes further ahead of what the highway shows. I almost have the entire section prior to chorus in memory, but small note changes are throwing me off.

I tried to play the intro to "Heart-Shaped Box" at 100% tempo, but I'm not ready just yet. The notes highway is pretty much useless at that speed. By the time you look down at the guitar and back up at the screen, you are lost. I'm hoping by the time it increases my speed that far that I don't even have to look at the screen.

Anyhow, I can now play all the way up to the chorus in "Heart-Shaped Box" on 100% difficulty at 65% tempo. The computer says I missed 3 notes, but they were just mis-timed. I still have to look at the screen for some of the notes, but it's getting better. I plan to take a look at the chorus soon. It is a bunch of chords with some slides mixed in.

One thing I know I'm doing poorly is strumming too hard. I am still a bit rigid when I play, but I am working on it. I've also changed the way I hold the pick since I shot the video.

Another thing I REALLY wish they had done is allow you the option of turning off the vocals when you are running at less than 100% tempo. You can hear it in the video above a little bit, but nothing is more annoying than "hhhheeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy hhhhhhoooooooooooooo, lllllleeeeeeeeetttttttt'''''''ssssssss ggggggoooooooo!!!!" at 20% ("Blitzkrieg Bop" chorus).

---------------

I've decided to install the game to the Xbox hard-drive after running into issues with FREEZING. I've read everything I could find and others are having similar issues. It ranges from freezing directly after startup to after playing for hours. There doesn't seem to be one specific cause. Some think it's overheating issues while others claim it's the most recent patch.

The game, to date, has frozen on me three times: once was during a song which I had significantly slowed down, once was while I was playing with my imaginary band, and the other was in the Guitarcade. Hopefully, installing it solves the problem.

---------------

I've had two more freezes in the past couple of sessions, even after installing the disc. One of them was shortly after startup.

Still working on the chorus of "Heart-Shaped Box". The chords are pretty easy, but the transition from chord-to-bend-to-chord and chord-to-slide-to-chord are getting me. I can pull it off, but only with the tempo set to 1%!

---------------

I've been mixing it up a bit so I don't get bored with working on the same thing. There's an achievement for playing every song once. I may then start working on high scores in the Guitarcade. I haven't had any recent freezing problems, but I haven't been playing for as long a session as before.

This is a game called "Scale Warriors". You hit the notes to hit the baddies.

Luckily, I have something else driving me to succeed. People are expecting me and my wife's cousin (he's getting the game for Christmas, but doesn't know yet. Shhhh!) to play at the next family reunion in the summer. I don't think they'll enjoy "Thunder Kiss '65" as much as I do.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Ill be sure to check this thread more often, Im hoping to get it for xmas but im having a hard time finding a copy of the game. I have 2 guitars that i can play a few chords but have trouble with progression to the next chord. Im hoping this game will help me and im sure it will do a great job. Im really excited to see how you come along. I might have to let my buddy borrow it when im done!

This thread is gonna be my motivation to learn guitar

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Are there songs that are significantly easier than other for beginners?
You can change the way the game lists the songs. You can list them by name, artist, or a variety of other ways including DIFFICULTY. It is based on how the computer rates them, though. "Blitzkrieg Bop" is considered the easiest. It is basically three cords strummed over and over with a fourth chord thrown in twice.

Keep in mind that, in Riff Repeater mode, you can set the difficulty and tempo to whatever you want and keep it there as long as you want. This allows you to play small sections or the entire song at your pace.

I'm still getting used to messing around with the settings, but I can tell you that if the computer sees you floundering, it will step in and lower the difficulty. You may only be playing every 3rd or 4th note, but you're still playing actual notes for the most part. Once you level up, some notes may change to chords or a single slide may turn into a series of slides, but the computer eases you into it.

For starters, I honestly recommend working on the Lessons, starting with 101 level, and then pick a song you REALLY like. I've found it easier learning a song of moderate difficulty that I like over an easy song I don't like. Either way, just have fun with it.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
WEEK #3:
The beginning-of-week-three totals look like this:
- 15 days of ownership
- 13 days of playing (a day of travel to pick up the in-laws, plus I beat Gears of War: Judgment)
- over 28 hours of total practice time
- 0 songs mastered (I know some riffs by heart from the lessons, though)

Well, I found another song I want to learn to play; this new song is starting to make me question the difficulty rating system because "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is ranked two songs above "Heart-Shaped Box", but it's a lot easier to play so far. I'll have to wait until I can play both to weigh in more, I suppose.

A question I would like to ask anyone that learned guitar on their own using tabluture is: Did you only learn songs you liked or did you choose songs that provided opportunity to learn new skills? I'm asking because the computer is already telling me to move to 201 Lessons while I haven't even mastered the 101 skills.

---------------

I ran into my first real problem today. I couldn't figure out what a symbol meant when I bumped up the difficulty on "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". All of a sudden these sideways arrows showed up:

NOTE: This image it taken from the internet and shows a left-handed play scheme with the strings inverted.

I looked on the Ubisoft forum and found out it is called a arpeggio helper; it not only shows which note to play, but also the next few. Seems an arpeggio is held like a chord, but then played as individual notes. Are arpeggios that hard to play?

----------------

Went out and bought a stand for my guitar so I don't have to lean it in the corner. I told the guy at the local music store that I was just learning guitar for the first time from Rocksmith 2014. Surprisingly, he said it was a great way (I figured him for "old-school"?) to start since there isn't anyone in the area that teaches guitar.

Long story short, he gave me a bunch of different thicknesses of picks for free and told me to come back in for a deal when I want to upgrade my guitar or if I need a restring. Awesome!

----------------

Almost at 100% for all of the 101 skills. I've started the handful of 102 courses and plan to keep pushing until they have been mastered. I keep going back to the early, easier practice tracks and have no problem hitting all of the notes. This practice stuff is actually paying off!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I only learned songs I liked. Which in hindsight was very naive of me. I say that because I would have never on my life listened to bluegrass music. Turns out that is mostly what I play along with modern folk. The bluegrass has definitely improved my sense of rhythm and my strum speed has increased along with my variety of strum patterns. I play mostly rhythm guitar (chords instead of single notes). Learn every song and use the guitarcade. Otherwise you are simply learning songs on the guitar and not learning to play guitar. I can play songs on the piano but I don't know how to play piano if that makes any sense?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts