Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive searched and really haven't found what im lookin for, i want to get some rods and pistons for nitrous and what would i need to do to my engine to accomodate them. I was thinkin about the Crower rods from focus central, and some JE pistons maybe. NE help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Crower Rods - Wonderful!! Look to spend right around $700.00

JE Pistons.. Call and get a Custom set ordered.. 10.5:1 w/o any Bore Changes.. The ones they sell right off of the shelf are .007 larger than factory, which means yanking the block, and going to a good machine shop.. Look to spend about $500.00 for the custom pistons, and if ya want the regular ones, I got a set w/rings n pins for $548.00 overnighted to me..

Also, a great idea for a Nitrous car is Stainless Valves.. Expect to spend right around $400.00 for the Ferrea's.. Cost on them is like $21/intake, and $20/exhaust.. 8 of each..

Rods, Pistons, Rings, Pins, Valves.. Big shot o' spray!!

Hope that helps some..

JP

·
Registered
645 Posts
For nitrous you'll want about .008" piston to bore clearance, and some good rings. When you change rings the crosshatch surface finish needs to be matched to the application. (reccomended)
That means you'll want to have the block honed.
Shawn at Childs & Alberts can have your pistons custom machined cheaper than a set of JE's and the quality is top notch. (I have them)
Be sure you pay attention to the wrist pin size when your ordering rods and pistons. Our little Zetec's have some pretty small pins (.787). Larger is better but then you get into the big $$$ rods.
Here's what I have in mine:
C&A pistons, pins, rings = $480
Eagle rods from Tony D = $375
Gaskets, bearings = $42
ARP Main and Head studs = $240
Honing = $40
Ring gapping = $30
Balancing = $130
Plastigage, torque wrench, etc. = ? $100
Labor = Priceless!!! (mine!)
This is alot of work but if your going to do it don't mess around, do it right the first time!
I'm trying to!
Good luck
Bruce

·
Registered
645 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That sounds like the right price range to me but FC has $379 listed on their site http://www.focus-central.com/catalog.asp?id=3
That can't be for a set or each.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Crower makes good rods and cheap rods. The cheap ones should be good enough for most builds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts