Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the time has come... Tomorrow im starting my roll cage in my 2001. Ill use this thread to post updates, costs and pics.

Cost so far:
Tubing-60ft- $361.61=DOM 1.75x.120, i know the wall is thicker but thats all i could get.

Just an exterior shot of my focus at an autocross with the racing slicks and wheels. (sep 13)

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Cool I will keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Excellent! Can't wait to see what's involved!

Are you doing the welding and bending yourself?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes doing all welding and bending myself, ill have pics and stuff tomorrow hopefully. & also, this thread is mainly so you guys can ask questions and ill try to answer them.. I dont plan on posting a step by step. But ill try to explain what im doing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first gut the car :thumbup:

Heres my roll cage main hoop jig with the bar and the first bends completed

and here it is after second bends completed

now all i have to do is make the floor mounts and fit

sorry its taking me so long, but i have a messed up knee and back from work so im slowly getting it done

·
Registered
281 Posts
be careful using this type of bender, if it crimps too much in the bends it won't pass scrutineering. take detailed photo's and send them to a scrutineer while you're building your cage, that way you won't run into problems when you show up for your first race.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i didnt show me filling them with sand. but i did, and also im using .120 wall so crimping really wouldnt matter in this case. if i was using the.95 wall then i would worry about tech inspection. but thank you. do you know the email adress of the nearest scruteneer to georgia?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tparker said:
What is the full length of the main hoop?
I did mine at 150" so id have a little extra screw up room. But it really all depends on where you mount the main hoop. Im so tall i have to mound the main hoop on the shelf were the rear seat goes, so the hoop is shorter, but i also have to rebuild the floor there with 1/8" steel plate and then reinforce that. If you mount on the floor, id cut it to 150 cuz i had plenty overlap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not sure where you are in GA but here is one listed on NASA Rally Sport as a scrutineer. Make sure you read thru the rules and get to know them well, it will help alot when fabricating a cage. "An ounce of prevention..."

Gary D'Abate
363 Spring Crest Rd
Cleveland, GA 30528
Phone 706-219-6447
[email protected]

·
Registered
661 Posts
Plan B Racing said:
what type of bender are you using to make your bends?
Hehehe, this popped in my head.

Sorry to hear about the back, good luck finishing it!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I regret to inform you that the roll cage build is being put on hold indefinately because of my knees, and i dont have enough time.
again sry

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
mattm2001 said:
The Focus Is back on Baby:hump:, Woot! More pics in a bit!!!
w00t!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hooray!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, Ive decided to get a bit more serious on my rally focus, becuase i want to do so many things to this focus it might only be able to run M2. But heres the updates.

First start with a body shell.

Stock wiring harness... Who needs that pffft.. lol

Starting the stich welding

P.S. This will probably turn into a build thread.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts