Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a roof rack for my SVT Focus. I was wondering where people have bought these before, because Google isn't much help.

Also, where have any of the HAMs on the forums mounted their antennas? I have mine on my roof, but I'm almost running out of room. Are there any good mounts that deal with the hatchback?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This was my post of a while back. This rack works well but was a lot of work to install. Removing the headliner is rather difficult.

Poster: OverFocused
Subject: Re: Thule Top Tracks on 2005 ZX3 Roof

I just finished installing a pair of Thule Top Tracks to the roof of my 2005 ZX3. These are high quality anodized aluminum pieces that accept the Thule Tracker Foot and crossbars. This vehicle is my daily driver and also has to be able to make the return leg of that trip to Home Depot. Now I can carry long lumber.

The installation was not easy. First I removed the headliner. Then determined that a side to side spacing of no more than 32 inches would clear all the roof reinforcements where the roof meets the sides.

I applied 2 inch wide blue masking tape and measured and remeasured and remeasured for six holes along each side. They match the holes in the track units. The rows are dead parallel. Drilling the holes was, well, a sign of commitment to finishing the project!

I placed the tracks closer to the rear as it seemed to look right and the roof curvature near the front is very extreme. These track units bend but only barely and really want to be installed on flat roofs. Follow instructions. I added larger diameter fender washers inside to spread the load. The tracks were cut to a 42 inch length.

I installed some sound damping material to that bare roof and will also be adding a thin sound mat. Next I will install the new overhead storage bin and rear dome light.

Views 6,7, and 8 in my album Focus ZX3 Project Images

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have the BAT rack, it's just like the rack you will see on the Kona.

It does bolt to the car and I think it is very secure. If you are intresed in this rack you will need to check your car to see if you have the mounting hole on your car. The first place to check is in the front door section, if you look at the picture you will see about where to check. There should be 2 black plastic screws, they are under the weather stripping. In the back out near the outer edges of the hatch area there will be what look like spot whelds, it is actually some kind of calking. I drilled out the calking and then ran a tap into the nut that was welding in the car.

If I had a digital camera I would get some better pictures of it for you. The rack is rated at 75KG wich is I think about 160lbs. http://www.batinc.net/focus.htm sells them for just under $200.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ham radio: I have a maldol lip mount on my rear Hatch. I'll take a picture today and post it tonight.

·
Registered
883 Posts

This is the ford accessory roof rack, made by yakima. It worked with my stock antenna, now i have a shorty antenna, but it does work with a socker.

Here is another pic

Also the rack is removeable, and it has locks to keep all your belongings secured while they are up there.

Hope this helps
LAZ

·
Registered
438 Posts
I didn't see and radio pics so I thought I'd post my install.

here are a few of my antenna and mount...

And this how I mounted the remote face...

Without the mic plugged in there is plenty of room for the mirror to be adjusted. I have yet to 'remote' a mic plug and find a external speaker to my satisfation. Overall, I find the whole setup barely noticable from the outside (which I like).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh, as far as racks go I've done fine with a removable hatch/trunk rack for bicycles. Skis and stuff I've put inside with the smaller half of the rear seat down. Personally I haven't had any further need than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't see and radio pics so I thought I'd post my install.

here are a few of my antenna and mount...

Without the mic plugged in there is plenty of room for the mirror to be adjusted. I have yet to 'remote' a mic plug and find a external speaker to my satisfation. Overall, I find the whole setup barely noticable from the outside (which I like).
I posted in your other thread, but I thought I'd post here as well: what kind of antenna mount is that and where did you get it? I like it a lot better than sticking another mag-mount on my roof (that would total 5 on the roof)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have a complete set from Yakima with bike track on it as well. It looks better than factory, however, if you're concerned with weight you may want to look at Thule, but i don't if their system is much better. I'm happy with the system, but not with the costs. It "seems" every part i put on it seems to be always a $100.00 . I got the base set on trade, and it still probably have put another $3-350. As far as the radio stuff i have no idea. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
first place to check is in the front door section...
In the back out near the outer edges of the hatch area there will be what look like spot whelds,
Front and rear (yellow arrow) mounting locations for the BAT/Kona Rack...>>>Clicky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts