Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read all kinds of posts about offset for our cars but I just need to know before I order.

I can order Rota slipstreams in 16x7 but with a variety of offsets. You can choose 40mm, 45mm or 48mm. The only problem is if I want 45 or 48mm it will take approx. 2 months to get the wheels.

My question, will my SVT rub or have any negative effects associated with a 40mm offset or should I go with a 45 or 48mm and wait.

What would you choose any why.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
at stock ride height your car will not rub, It may rub if you lower it more than 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I'm not lowered and I am probably going to run either 215/50/16 or 205/50/16 tires.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
205/15-16 would likely be pretty safe.

I run 16x7 40mm Rotas with 225/45-16s at 2.0" lowering, but I have rolled fenders and added camber, which helps with clearance greatly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are there any detrimental effects to running a 40mm offset? Will I need to do anything, or is it just plug and play?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If I may ask, where are you ordering from where you can choose offsets? Thanks...

CCC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi all,

I've read all kinds of posts about offset for our cars but I just need to know before I order.

I can order Rota slipstreams in 16x7 but with a variety of offsets. You can choose 40mm, 45mm or 48mm. The only problem is if I want 45 or 48mm it will take approx. 2 months to get the wheels.

My question, will my SVT rub or have any negative effects associated with a 40mm offset or should I go with a 45 or 48mm and wait.

What would you choose any why.

Thanks!!
Why 16"s? Personally I would stick with 17"s and stay as close to the 49mm stock offset as you can get (no less than 45mm). You may not rub with 40mm but you may sacrifice performance, the offset on the svt is there for a reason. That's why our car's handle so good. Your car's handling may be affected by straying to far from the stock offset. You can also order directly from the west coast distributor @ ttp://www.rotawheels.com. As far as I know they are the only distributor in the U.S. for Rota wheels. I got a set of slipstreams through them for my son's integra...

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I feel that a 17" wheel is too big for a Focus... you sacrifice gearing and are forced to run short sidewalls... A 16" wheel is lighter as well.

While the 49mm offset is indeed favorable to retain the stock scrub radius, a lower offset provides a wider track, which positively influences weight transfer. It will indeed alter steering feel and tramlining somewhat, but in my experience it is not problematic.

That said, 48 or 45mm would be the safest from a rubbing standpoint, but I'm thrilled with the results of my 40mm offset, and handling is my #1 priority with my car. I wouldn't recommend 40mm offset without taking precautions against rub.

Offset is only one of the elements that leads to the well balanced SVT suspension, but not the only element.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I agree with Omni in the need for 16s on the Focus. The 17s for the SVTs seem to be just to fit in (aesthitcally) with the rest of the first timers in the Sport Compact scene (Nissan SE-R Spec V jumps to mind). The gearing seems to be beyond tall sometimes, and peronally I'd like to see what a set of lightweight 16s can offer in teh realm of handling and autoX performance.

So Omni...how many and what sort of precautions might one have to take in order to run the 40mm? I ask only because I hadn't recognized that a lower offset increased the track (you shoud see how many diagrams I have laying around the house in my attempt to see how offset affects the car)?

CCC

·
Registered
584 Posts
We all have our opinions on what looks good and performance, but Special Vehicles Team @ Ford Motor Co. has been designing SVT vehicles for quite a while and I'm sure they put 17" wheels on the SVTF from a performance standpoint and not just the for looks. That being said you can mod your vehicle anyway you want but you start opening up a can of worms when you modify parts that were put there for a specific purpose. Do your homework on adding the parts you want to change, especially on a car that was designed this well to start with, and most of the time you'll be O.K. I know we all like to mod our cars but it's hard to improve on this mold unless you have quite a bit of money to spend. It's also the type of driving your doing, are you racing or is it a daily driver?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I'm going with a 16's is because i'm sick and tired of bending rims. Running a 215/50/16 will give me more room before making contact with the rim.

In addition, as was said above, the 16's are light at 13.5lbs. Thats about 26lbs off the car and less rotating mass...

Also, www.rotawheels.com doesn't seem to give you the options to get them (Slipstreams) in 4x108.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The reason I'm going with a 16's is because i'm sick and tired of bending rims. Running a 215/50/16 will give me more room before making contact with the rim.

In addition, as was said above, the 16's are light at 13.5lbs. Thats about 26lbs off the car and less rotating mass...

Also, www.rotawheels.com doesn't seem to give you the options to get them (Slipstreams) in 4x108.
You can get them as a special order item. It will take 6-8 weeks but you will get them eventually if your willing to wait. If you contact them directly you will get more info on the specific wheel you want...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its my daily driver, I don't go to the track or have any plans to. I just want some nice looking lightweight rims and get away from 17's. I don't care for bling, that's why I'm going with a flat black colour =)

·
Registered
141 Posts
No rubbing with my slipstream 16X7 40mm offset & 215/45/16 tires with H&R race spring...but it's pretty close with the rear wheels.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
www.machiii.net

Send them an email and they will answer whatever questions you have. If they don't stock what you are after, they can special order them and have them custom drilled. Usually a 2-3 month wait. Free shipping just like every other company I've seen that sells Rotas.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
So Omni...how many and what sort of precautions might one have to take in order to run the 40mm? I ask only because I hadn't recognized that a lower offset increased the track (you shoud see how many diagrams I have laying around the house in my attempt to see how offset affects the car)?
If one were to choose to run wide tires on a 40mm 7" wheel, I'd recommend the following:

) Add negative camber to the front with a camber plate. I run 2.7 degrees up front. The camber plate moves the top of the strut inward as much as 1/2", which gains me the benefit of negative camber as well as the added tire clearance. If tire wear is a big concern, I'd think twice about it. My car is a weekend track & autocross toy, so track-spec alignments are not a problem.

)Roll the fenders... not so much needed in the front with the camber, but in the rear should you find yourself with a heavy load (such as four race tires in the back and a bunch of tools), a 225 will rub. The rolling solves it.

If one were going for looks alone on a daily driver with low risk of rubbing, then I'd pick the 45 or 48mm.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
We all have our opinions on what looks good and performance, but Special Vehicles Team @ Ford Motor Co. has been designing SVT vehicles for quite a while and I'm sure they put 17" wheels on the SVTF from a performance standpoint and not just the for looks.
I seriously doubt it, because there is no performance benefit from 17" wheels. From a purely performance standpoint, the best wheels available are the smallest, lightest ones that will still clear your brakes. Smaller wheels have a lower moment of inertia, better choices for tires, (usually) reduce unsprung mass, and are less likely to be damaged during hard driving.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts