Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having brake issues with my 2003 Focus SVT with 145.000 miles and I was wondering if I can get some input on this.
For the past 2 years, the brake rotors keep getting warped.
First time it happened, I replaced the rotors. Old ones were Centric brand
The replacements were drilled and slotted, no brand ones.

After about 4-5000 miles the steering wheel shake came back and this time I replaced the rotors and the pads. Switched to ceramic pads from the OEM ones.
In about the same distance the shake returned. This time I lifted the front end in the air and spun the wheels. Noticed that the right side was dragging.
Decided to go with a caliper rebuild kit instead of replacing the calipers.

I rebuilt both calipers, installed the first set of rotors that I machined in the meantime and used the same pads.
Now 3500 miles later, the shake is present again. Not as bad yet but I think it is only the beginning.
I don't know if it is because I used a machined rotors. I know they tend to warp quicker but 3500 miles is a bit too soon.

I want to see if there are other causes for rotor warping besides the obvious ones, like the calipers in my case, because at this point I am afraid to replace the calipers and have the same issue happening.

I always lube the sliding pins. Last time I used the 3M silicone paste which apparently is the choice of most mechanics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I first bought my car (at 48k) It had warped rotors. I took a wheel off with the intention of having them turned and found they were under the min.
I called Tousley Ford and had all 4 rotors sent to me and I had them cryo'd. I put them on around 55k and I never touched them after that. Around 110k I think I changed the pads and again at 165k. On this last change (165k) I had the fronts turned a tiny bit. There was an edge starting to for.

TLDR: OEM rotors should be cryo'd then installed asap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts