Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, the joys of road salt...

Time for my first brake job at 50k & decided to try doing it myself. Got the caliper off with no problem, figured the rotor would slide right off after that. No such luck. Even tried a little "persuasion" (in the form of a rubber mallet) and the thing still wouldn't come off. I'm kind of afraid to beat on it too much 'cause I have ABS & don't know what kind of (expensive) stuff I might break under there. Any suggestions?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Holy cow... Tell me again why you folks live in that area?
Just kidding. I've never heard of that sort of seizure... as I believe it is an aluminum to iron interface.

Anyway... I would suggest a deadblow rather than a rubber mallet.. you're going to need a sharper impact to break it loose. If you are replacing the rotors, perhaps even light taps with a steel hammer.

You are wise not to overdo it, though the ABS sensor is safely on the inside of the knuckle. Care should be taken not to damage the threads of the studs should the rotor depart the hub face at an angle.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
good call i was going to tell you to beat the crap outa them if you are going to replace them but since you have abs thats a bad idea. have you tried to use wd40 or pb blaster. or maybe try heating the rotor alittle with a torch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
dude just use a hammer and hit the rotor between the studs as hard as you can and it should pop off

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Also, consider CAREFUL, MINIMAL use of Anti-sieze compound when reassembling things.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had to beat my rotors for half an hour before they came off last time I changed my brakes.. and that metal really resonates and is LOUD .. wear earmuffs

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy cow... Tell me again why you folks live in that area?
I ask myself that every winter.

Anyway...I did try a bit of PB Blaster as well. I'll be borrowing a slightly heavier hammer for my second attempt this weekend. I'll have the anti-seize ready for reassembly time as well. Thanks to all for the advice.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Also, consider CAREFUL, MINIMAL use of Anti-sieze compound when reassembling things.
Yep. Sand the face of the hub and spread The anti-sieze on the hub where the rotor sits and your next brake job should be easier.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
also... use a block of wood to hit instead of direct contact with the rotor....lots of force spread over a wider area.

Its always worked for me.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I had one set of rotors that froze on so thoroughly IO had to use a gear puller, PB'laster, torch, and hammer all combined before the rotor came off. The rotor broke in a couple of places from the use of the gear puller. Since then I have always used a slight coating of antisieze on the hub face. Oh yeah and make sure that you are not standing in the way of the gear puller when using it. When the rotor and gear puller finally came off, it managed to fly into the wall with enough force to poke a nice hole in the sheetrock wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts